Back Tension shooters vs trigger pullers

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sburns08, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Sburns08

Sburns08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good morning bowhunters,
    I wanted to ask opinions from you all. Does anyone shoot using back tension (hinge) or do the majority of you use the trigger finger and just pull the trigger. I pull my trigger but have been doing some research and it seems your accuracy gets better using back tension.

2. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a Carter Attraction which can be shot as a pull-through or thumb trigger. It has helped my shooting tremendously. I strongly recommend a pull-through if you're just starting out on a back tension style.

3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much any release can be used as a back tension release... It doesn't have to be a hook style. I shoot a trigger release that's not a hook style and use back tension to shoot.

4. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, Jake. You are correct. The proper way to shoot a trigger release is with back tension.

5. theleo

theleo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    There's nothing magical about a hinge that will keep target panic at bay or keep you from punching the trigger. I haven't shot a pull through but I'd wager money it's the same way. Releases requires some action from you to release them and once you figure that action out you can find yourself running into target panic and trigger punching like any other release.

That being said, since I picked up my hinge (Carter Honey 2) about 6 months ago I don't see myself going back to a wrist strap (for an index finger release and practicing I found out I really liked shooting with a Rip Shot hooked on my elbow, for hunting not so much). The hinge just slows down my shot process and helps stop anticipating the shot and punching the trigger. I draw back, get to anchor, flick the safety off, touch my index finger and thumb together, then start closing my hand with the other two fingers on the release (I can only fit three fingers on it) till it goes off. It's become so natural that I'm taking it elk hunting with me this year even though I told myself I'd never hunt with a hinge.

No release style is more accurate than the next. There's lots of guys that use a wrist strap that shoot better than I do, but my hinge has helped my shooting. It only creates a difference in my shot sequence and mentally moves me away from what it's like shooting a rifle.

6. graybeard

graybeard Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I let my trigger break the same way I do with a rifle.

7. used2belucky

used2belucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my own personal experience. for 20+ years I was a trigger slapping fool with my wrist setup. I had that 6 o'clock target panic, move the pin up quick and slam the trigger. very frustrating stuff... 2 seasons ago I switched to a Scott backspin and it absolutely was magic for me. you literally can not punch the trigger. it 100% helped me with not only trigger punch but I can now settle my pin and hold it on target for as long as I like. it took some getting used to but I am extremely accurate and confident with it. I have let a few of my hot shot buddies use it, most didn't realize how rough they are on the trigger until they shoot something that wont go off with a slap. completely changed the game for me.

8. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I switch to the Scott Exxus which is a thumb trigger. In doing so I was able to dramatically increase my accuracy. I do somewhat shoot it like a back tension using pull through to trigger it. I also picked up 1/2 inch draw length by switching too. Now that I have been shooting it for a season its hard to go back.