Back in the Woods...thanks to my Daughter

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by JeffKo, Aug 11, 2021.

1. JeffKo

JeffKo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last year, three days before opening day (Michigan) our 12 y/o daughter came to me; "Dad will you take me Bow hunting".... Asking me to go hunting wasn't the issue, heck it brought a tear to my eye...BUT, she didn't have a bow, or gear and I haven't shot my Old Hoyt in 12 years. Heck I haven't been in the 100 Acer wood since 2008. Now don't judge me. If you do the math. That's when our daughter was born, and I could get into the background of job loss, and fighting Demons (Crawling out of the bottle)…but that's not relevant.

There was Only one thing to do....
    Trip to the Archery shop. Have her fit for a bow (Mission Radik), arrows. Bass Pro for She™ gear (her choice) and prepare when mom sees the receipts. I am the man of the house, but, the sticker was, well, WE had a lot of fun. When my daughter asked about turkey hunting, my wife nearly fell over. That means "shotguns too"

2020; First shot
    Our daughter is a volleyballer and plays on a 1’s National Team (Volleyball parents will know what I mean). Because of the short notice, my work and her practice schedule. We had to hunt when we could.
    Last year we got into the woods half a dozen times (maybe) before archery ended. On our third time out. She finally had a deer, full broadside...about 20-25yd. She drew back her arrow… wait for it … about ⅔ back ‘Thoink” Misfire. The arrow gently flew over the deer. At that moment she says “CRAP” loud enough for every deer in a 50 yds. radius to hear. Fortunately we’re on private / family land...and not running to avoid angry hunters.
    That same afternoon she had practice. When she arrived home. She went into the garage, got the target and practiced draw and release for about 30 mins. All this on her own. She hates screwing up.

2021; A new year…
    We’ve already been in the woods clearing and food plots. New Ground blind (she's not ready for the tree stand). New blind because she is that much taller. Bow adjustments; because she’s that much stronger and her draw length. We’re considering a Northern Michigan / Wisconsin Whitetail hunt this year as well.
    I’m blessed to have my family. The look on my daughters face when that deer walked into view and her face after the misfire is etched into my memory. I know now how my Dad felt taking me fishing and into the woods for that first hunt. God only knows our path. I’m living proof the Red Letters will save you...and seeds will be sewn. The branch will now bear fruit. Fruit of memories and God willing a full freezer.

I have been following Bowhunting dot com for a year. I hope to continue with some postings: Hunting with My Daughter.. If you were able to finished my first post. I thank you. God Bless

2. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome story.
    Looking forward to following along.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate your dedication to your kids, if a man can't prioritize hobbies over family he isn't much of a man.

Jerry Mike likes this.
  4. Jerry Mike

Jerry Mike Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here .

5. Illinois Outdoorsman

Illinois Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing. And good luck to you both in the woods this fall. Lots of amazing people on this site.