Average distance a shot is taken at a game animal...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by hambone69, Sep 28, 2012.

1. hambone69

hambone69 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I look at video and some shots seem over 50-60yrds, is there a average that most hunters will shoot at?

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Gotta remember depending on the angle it always appears farther in my experience on film than it actually was for the shooter. Now if you are actually getting told how far the harvest shot was then you're probably watching the "pro's" and they shoot 80 yards with their first pin, can call in a buck from four counties over and pee doe-in-heat...

all joking aside were you told the distances or just going by what it looked like? Me personally have only shot over 20 yards once...not by choice just that's how it has panned out.

3. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard that the average range for taking a deer with a bow in Maryland is 18 yards. Of course that could be old news but that's what I've "heard".

4. leinen

leinen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I've heard 17 and 18

5. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I keep a log of every deer I shoot and what range. A few years back I took an average and it was like 13.5 yards for me. I dont generally shoot very far with a bow.

6. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot two deer at a pretty long distance, but if you remove those two from the equation the average is well under 20 yards. I think I've shot maybe 4-5 total that were further than 20 including the two really long distance ones.

7. hambone69

hambone69 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sighting in my bow, I'm new at this and it has 4 pins. I was trying to figure out what to set each pin at...20 30 40 50..? I'm shooting in my yard at 25 yards and it seems far for a shot in the woods." remember I'm new " by the responces I'm pissing in the wind to be practicing any further than 25 yrds, I lost a arrow shooting 40 yards the other day........I'm sticking to 25 yards

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  8. nate

nate Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    About 20 yards for me. I've missed one at 20 because I thought he was at 30 and I've missed one at 30 because I thought he was at 20 :violin:

9. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wont shoot at a deer in the woods over 35, and that is pushing it. Usually 30 or less.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

10. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd take a pin out and use a 20-35-45

11. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't shoot past 30-35 yards at most. I can make a 40 yard shot easily in practice but since I hunt in the woods, a shot that far rarely presents itself with all the trees, limbs, and angles. Most of the deer I've killed are within 15-20 yards. One was just 5 yards away on a hilltop and was eye level for me while I was in my tree stand. It was by far the easiest and the best shot I've ever made on a deer. :nana:

12. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The three deer I shot last year were at 37, 31, & 18. Average 28.6

13. dj-skyy

dj-skyy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i prefer 20 and under, OR that's the distance I kill most deer at....but if it's a clear visual, I won't hesitate to shoot 45-50yds...that's how far I'm comfortable shooting to...

14. Ken6

Ken6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Buck I shot last year was 21 yards. Most of my set ups are 18-26 yds.

15. JDhom

JDhom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like to have a 20-30-40-50-60 will i take a 60yd shot at and animal in the woods no but when im practicing in the yard the first few shot are always 50 or 60 yds. This way when you shot at 30 yards or closer it feels like a chip shot and it takes the edge off. All you new to archery guys im sure you herd this befor find your max distace It may be 30-40 whatever your can group 3 arrows in a three inch circle and thats your max. Try to set up your stands at half that distance and you will be golden. That what i do and its allways worked for me. The ferthest i ever shot a doe was 50yds good kill but i shouldnt of done it. I say my average now is like 20-25yds. Good luck and practice practice practice.

16. SOIL hunter

SOIL hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It depends on the hunting area, game and abilities. I would agree that whitetail hunting in the woods hardly ever offers more than a 30 yard shot. I know guys that elk hunt and have harvested elk at 62 and 64 yards. The 64 yard was with a recurve. Elk have a larger kill zone and can be in more open areas.

17. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The average shot distance is under 25 yards but it is highly beneficial to practice at longer ranges. If you can get comfortable shooting at 40 yards and out during practice it will help you with your short range stuff. Also the longer distance will highlight any issues with your form or equipment a little more than short range shooting. If you have a issue losing arrows I would suggest getting two hay bales and stack them behind your target or use them as a target.

18. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say first year if like me only go to your confidence (do this always but first year don't expect far distances). I know my first year I had a 15 and 25 yard pin...while more were there I never sighted them in, because I knew I didn't want to go farther.

19. Edcyclopedia

Edcyclopedia Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    6-28 yards for me = 17 is the average for deer tagged.

I've shot out to 32 but the shot was slightly high and the deer jumped the string - that's about max for my liking anyways...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  20. Matt9589

Matt9589 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    40 is the farthest i'd take on a whitetail. i practice to 70 and do well.