Australian Water Buffalo!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by KodiakArcher, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I agree totally Will. After being an outfitter for Deer and Bear for 9 years, I am sometimes amazed at an animals will to live.

I sure hope Rob, or anyone, didn't think I was questioning his shooting abilities. That was surely not the point of my questions. I was just curious if he, or you, thought that the outcome would have been different with a different head. I believe this was Rob's first time using a single bevel head.

Anyways, I'm extremely envious of this hunt. Dustin and I have talked many times about how it would be great to do this hunt as well.

I look forward to the Brush Bull story!

2. whip

whip Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go Rob, awesome stuff! I am looking forward to hunting with you again one of these days. I will be in Texas with Will next week, I will have to get all the Australia stories!

3. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No worries Dan. Nothing of the sort crossed my mind. I took it exactly as it was meant and am only too glad to share the details for someone else's education. That's how I've learned most of what I know. One of my great joys in life is paying that debt forward.

(Besides, I owe you at least a favor or two!)

4. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Did I forget to mention Laundry Day?

[​IMG]

So long as you didn't go into water that was deeper than they were sitting in, you didn't have to worry about these guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The great benefit of camp 2 was the cool running water. It's just springtime there and the temps were pushing into the upper 90's. We use tarps to keep dry on this end of the world and wouldn't you know they are just the opposite down there?! (Same as their driving!) The tarp is to keep the sun off.

[​IMG]

5. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ah sheeezzz...As I was sitting there cooling off, doing laundry, and cleaning myself downunder, I couldn't help but to think, "I'm trolling for crocs." There was definitely a croc in the deep water above our heads. We could see his red glowing eyes at night using a flashlight. Thanks for sharing the Great white whale photo Rob!

Dan, I agree with Rob. The way we learn is through experience and by asking questions. Rob and I had some wonder time to share what we were seeing. We were in a gaint laboratory-a place to test gear-unlike that we use back home. We took advantage of the situation. I will be the first guy to admit, "I wish I could take some shots back!" I will explain in detail my reasoning, but first let me give a tad of info on water buffalo and scrub bulls. This is information I had before I ventured into the "Outback":

Author unknown-"The Water Buffalo found in the northern part of Australia are impressive and fascinating, but they are not indigenous—and they are, in fact, something of a menace. Introduced into Australia in the 1800s as work animals and as a way to supply milk and meat to settlers in remote, northern settlements, these heat-tolerant mammals from Asia went feral when settlements failed or were abandoned. The now-wild buffalo multiplied to a point where they began to present serious problems.

First, they trashed the local ecology. They trampled shorelines, destroyed bird-breeding areas, and generally demolished delicate ecosystems. Second big problem is that they carry diseases that both indigenous animals and domestic cattle could catch. So they aren’t popular.

On top of that, they can be dangerous. In Crocodile Dundee, Paul Hogan’s character was able to hypnotize a massive buffalo that blocked his path, but this is not how they normally react to humans. While they might run away, they might not. They can weigh up to 3/4 of a ton, and their horns can measure ten feet from tip to tip—so if they decide to attack, you’re in trouble. And even if they just step out in front of your car as you’re driving down the road, you’re not going to survive slamming into a 1,500-pound wall of muscle.

Efforts to reduce the number of feral water buffalo in the Top End have been successful, but the Australian Park Service must remain vigilant, so the numbers don’t rebound. However, though numbers are reduced, you can still see an occasional water buffalo in the wilder regions of Australia’s north."

By good friend Lachlan Cooke-"The Scrub bull, “Scrubbie”, or wild ox is widely distributed across the top end of Australia. They are wild cattle; they have no brands, no ear tags and no contact with humans except for the yearly cattle muster. They do however have a bad ass temper! These cattle elude the bull catchers, choppers, motorbikes and horsemen each year by out smarting and out toughing them. They are worth good money at the meat works when caught but catching them is something else. A big old bull has played the muster game many times. When he hears the choppers and vehicles he heads for the cover and saunter of the many rivers that flow through this area. Once under the canopy of the large trees that line the banks they are safe, nothing can catch them! These animals are amongst the toughest and smartest in OZ."

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  6. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    What? Where's the rest of the story?! It's not like you've got a job to do or anything!

7. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the hunt!

It looks like it was everything and then some, great story to read about :tu:

8. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    What an adventure,,thats awesome and thanks for sharing!! congrats guys!!

9. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Rob, I passed all my final inspections today. Brother, the pressure is off! It's time to have a life again!

So on with the story...

Prior to breaking down camp and just after I arrowed my buff, I made the decision to re-arrange my bow. I decided to go back to my normal arrow weight (475 grains) and broadhead configuration (expandable). I figured the extra speed and long range ability would better serve me for the animals I would be hunting from that point forward, namely feral hogs and dingos (I had yet to see a scrub bull and wasn’t sure if they were even in the area). Shooting 860 grain arrows was like launching logs and they dropped like lead bricks! While shooting these heavy arrows, I had a very limited range-40 yards at best. My sight/pin arrangement wouldn’t go any lower for the drop I was experiencing. I spent an afternoon making the change…adjusted my sight and I added a few pins. I was now shooting a faster flatter arrow, the same arrow I had used to kill buffs in both South and North America.

Scott and I, during an evening hunt, had seen five buffs moving through the bush. We pursued. In the process, we discovered a natural spring. The buffs gave us the slip but it was obvious why and where these buffs were heading…WATER.

The next morning I walked from camp; the sun was still below the horizon and a blanket of fog hugged the forest. My goal was to walk to the spring and set up shop (construct a makeshift blind) for the entire day. I figured I’d see some cool stuff if I just waited there the entire day:

A track I found in the road while walking
    [​IMG]

some of the flora:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some of the fauna:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

click on the image to watch the video below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lizards were scary! As they moved through the grass you didn't know if they were snakes...I did encounter a greater black whip snake while moving up a buffalo trail. I circumvented it without incident.

Those green butted ants, as I was told, taste just like lime. I tried one...yes, they taste just like lime. I even went in for seconds.

10. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Holy Smokes guys, I can't believe I haven't read through this yet.. Unreal pics, stories, adventure, hunts, kills... Thanks for sharing.. you guys are LIVING! Very cool!

11. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Those green butted "ants" are the ones responsible for these termite mounds that were everywhere. Some of them where towering nearly 15' tall and others were eerie fields of grey ones that looked like tombstones. Just be sure that if you're going to eat one one of those lime bugs that you pop the head off first. Trust me, they've got a nasty bite!

[​IMG]

12. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Before I left the waterhole, I placed a trail camera on a tree. I wanted to see what was visiting during the night. Surprise, surprise...there were scrubbies in the area!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the walk back to camp, I ran into 20 buffs. I had the wind over my back. The moment I saw them they saw me. It was like the Germany army exploding the scene! I didn't even have the chance to take an arrow from my quiver!

[​IMG]

13. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    The epic adventure is turning into an epic post!

14. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like an awesome trip...CONGRATS to ALL!!!!

15. Bowdy

Bowdy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    G'day Guys,
    Glad you had a great adventure over here in OZ!!
    I was really looking forward to seeing you all again and sharing the hunt, but such is life.
    I was thinking about how you were going every day!!
    Who hired the bloody "NISSAN", no wonder the wheel fell off, you should have hired the unbreakable "Land Cruiser" :rock:
    I see you were also drinking the worst beer in Australia, "XXXX", don't take that horrible memory home, I hope you tried a few other brands!
    Good to see you all got into the action and took some nice critters.

16. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    The same is true of bear hunting. That's why I bring Rex. I've got that one down!

I've got to say that the quality of beer was not a highlight of the trip, especially at $17 / 6 pack!!! I did find a brewery in Byron Bay with a decent beer finally; Billy Goat Dark Ale.

Good to hear from ya Grant!

17. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    I'm blamin' that miscommunication on the Kiwi! My LandCruiser is 23 years old and has never let me down. I've got to say that Scotty did do pretty damn well by us otherwise though.

18. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    AMAZING Guys , been waiting for this story and you did not disappoint Fella's . Congrats to you all for getting your Buffs and sharing your experiences with us , sure wish I could have been there , sounds like you had a blast .

19. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for the delay again guys. I spent the evening and most of the night driving myself to Spearfish, South Dakota. I left Denver around 5pm and arrived at my destination just after 11pm. I was up early and in a treestand by 5am this morning.

Dave, it's good to see you! I was actually thinking of you last night while driving. I couldn't wash that bathing moment with me, Scottie, and Josh in the stream. From Lance Creek to New Castle, Wyoming I thought, "Man, if that strawberry Bails was here, the croc would have got him for sure! That would have missed up our entire hunt! We all would have been depressed for at least three seconds while dividing Dave's share of the grub."

When I get back to Denver and can type on my own computer, I will continue the yarn...

Good luck hunting this weekend everyone!

Grant, I will try to call. Watch your skype...

20. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a great adventure !!! Congrats to everyone and thanks for sharing !!!

Tim