Audio books???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by drath, Sep 16, 2013.

1. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve read some threads where hunters have posted about bringing books, phones, games, out to the stand to keep them from getting bored. I don’t think I could do that and feel comfortable. I’ll send the occasional text but that’s about it, I like to be scanning the woods as much as possible. By no means is this s knock to those who do, just a personal preference. However, this year I’m thinking about giving audio books a try and just putting in one earbud. This way I’ll have one ear open and still be able to keep my eyes on the woods. Has anyone ever tried this? Thoughts?
    -D

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Never even thought of that. With my luck all the deer would be on my occupied ear side and I would never see or hear a thing.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4

3. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had a buddy do this and go so into it he said a doe walked right under and by him cause he saw her just walking completly away from her. I do rec a book tho. I dont like outside noise when Im hunting

4. kimberglock

kimberglock Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like listening to pod casts but I like to listen to the sounds of the woods around me so its a toss up for me I can take it or leave it. I sat for 5 hours yesterday and it went by fast with no entertainment. Then I killed a buck.

5. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love audio books but not for hunting. I don't want to be occupied

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ditto. I love audio books and have a subscription to Audible. Why waste your time on talk radio or listening to the same songs and advertisements over and over again? I listen to audio books in the car constantly and that includes on the way to hunting. Never listened to them while hunting but I do bring my kindle fire when sitting in ground blinds and will surf the web and read the e-versions of Bowhunter, Bowhunting, etc., while waiting for prime time. But not all the time and I look up and scan the woods or field after every page or so.

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I take my phone and earbuds and listen to music a lot of the time. I rifle hunt from an enclosed elevated stand mostly the last couple of years and nearly every shot is 100+ yards so hearing being impeded isn't a big concern. I'll probably bring them with me bow hunting as well but may or may not use them. My attention is generally vision based anyway when in a stand...and sixth sense...I have always been able to feel when deer are nearby. I know that sounds hinky but it's true...my dad was always the same way. I can't explain it, it's similar to when you can feel someone watching/staring at you. At any rate, headphones have never seemed to bother me while hunting.