ATV's....UTV's...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by CoveyMaster, Apr 13, 2018.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Okay so the point about the transmission certainly made me think twice and do some research. That's a hell of a point, the rubber band drive trannies seem to get the job done but they sure have their problems. I haven't had much trouble with them on the rangers but the one that's used the most is going to need some work done to it because it's getting jerky and my 4 wheeler is the same way. I didn't have any idea that Honda's transmissions were different, their site doesn't seem to throw it in your face like they should because that's a fantastic selling point.

copperhead likes this.
  2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They all have their issues. (I'm a total Honda fanboy!) My son has a Ranger and since he's just gotten it back from the dealer after a warranty motor replacement and he's been driving my Pioneer while his was gone, he's now trying to sell his Ranger to get a Pioneer, he thinks the Pioneer is that much better. I don't beat the heck out of my rigs but I do use them. I've only got about a thousand miles on my Pioneer and other than oil changes, (by the book) it's been perfect for me.

3. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    In a perfect world, I'd probably go with the pioneer. At the moment I'm still leaning hard towards the Mule Pro FXT. I just watched a couple of videos comparing both side by side. The Mule got the nod for utilitarian use because of it's HD build quality and bed size and metal bed floor. They didn't really mention the big differences between the transmissions. Right now it's coming down to the difference in price for me. I can get a windshield and top and still be in the Mule for about $2500 less. Plus the Mule has a much larger bed, large enough for a full pallet which is perfect for fencing supplies and the pumpkin patch I grow every year. Also the Kawasaki has a 3 year warranty and no tax for ag use.

I like our Rangers but they are dated now and the crewcabs like ours are too long. They were great when they were new but they've lost out now to the models that kept improving while they went on cruise control and stopped improving. The transformable beds are an amazing convenience and everyone else has a much shorter wheelbase than Polaris. The mule, in three passenger mode, has a shorter wheelbase but a larger bed than the Ranger. The bed is smaller in 6 person mode but that's okay, likely 99% of the time mine would be in full bed mode anyway.

There's a Honda dealer in the same town as the Kawasaki dealer near me. I'll go by both and test drive each one before I decide. Right now, the Honda is going to have to be damned impressive to win out. I have approved credit with zero down and no payments for 7 months for whatever I want so it really comes down to best value for the dollar and the impression they make on me on a test drive.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    elkguide likes this.
  4. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So what you are really saying is that you are moving from paradise to a HOA!:jaw:

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No HOA I will not be in the gated community.

6. elkguide

Dislikes Received:

Didn't like it there in the "BIG" house?

7. elkguide

Dislikes Received:

Purely working, either the Mule or a Kubota.
    If you have a fun seeking bone in your body.... the Honda will make you really think.

Driving one is the best way to see for yourself.
    Don't get stuck on a "NO PAYMENT FOR 7 MONTHS" deal..... you've got to pay for it sometime.

8. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Haha, yeah I know, that just lines up well with my agricultural cash flow. I might be able to pay it off at the first payment after harvest if I have a decent crop year. I hate monthly payments period but if I can buy now and use it for the season and then pay for it then I'm okay with that. If need be, I can always live with a few payments too. I've paid off enough equipment the last year to easily cover the new payment.

Last time I looked closely at the Kubotas they were still limited to the 25mph crap. I don't care about sportyness but I can't live with 25mph, lol. The Kubotas are also priced at a premium just because of the color of the paint. I like Kubota but not enough to pay a premium for it and accept what I consider a flaw. Honestly I'm not that fond of orange on a UTV either, lol. (camo version is even higher priced)

9. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I just looked at the Kubotas again online, still 25mph limit. They have improved the suspension and they have a transformer bed that is huge. You have to buy extended warranty to get two years coverage. By the time I built one in camo, with two year warranty it was up to $19,000 and still didn't have a top or windshield. Like 25 hp diesel and 25mph top speed at $19K...they have a long way to go.

10. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll be going with a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 here shortly. Sold it to the wife that way. They legalized UTV/Golfcarts in our town and the pioneer will seat 5 with the 2 seats that fold out of the back. A lot of seating without sacrificing the short wheelbase. Throw the fam in and head to the park lol

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

11. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I think we've pretty much made a case for the top two UTV's, one for utilitarian farm use and one for utilitarian/sport use. Every tool has it's niche.

12. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you looked at Mahindra? I haven't been able to see one in person yet.

13. janesburg

janesburg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How’s the leg room comparing those two? I’m 6’-4” and every Polaris I’ve sat in is a tight fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

14. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't know they made a UTV. Caterpillar makes one too but I've not looked at them yet.

15. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    My brother in law is 6'4: and he liked the ranger 800 crews we have on the ranch.

16. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    CoveyMaster likes this.
  17. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    They seem to be a purely rebranded Intimidator UTV. We have a dealer for those locally, they look okay but they are basically a Ranger except they don't do anything quite as well except they offer a stainless bed on the truck version. No doors, just net like the Rangers, no transformer bed on the crew models, gas engines are lacking in CC's.

elkguide likes this.
  18. elkguide

Dislikes Received:
    You definitely do pay for color.
    I also appreciate paying with cash or else playing entirely with someone else's money.
    I rode my Foreman an extra year so that I could pay cash for my Pioneer.

19. elkguide

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly. Just a rebrand. Solid machine but very similar to all of the others.

20. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that option is still open for me with my 700 kingquad except it needs fixed so it will idle after it warms up. I was told it could be a low compression problem though I have a hard time believing that because it starts fine cold with the ripchord. It's a 2005 with a million hours and miles on it, hopefully it's just a fuel issue or something but it's about time it be replaced anyway. I'm taking it with me to the dealer to be looked at, if it's worth anything I may just trade it in on the new machine.