ATV suggestions

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by chart33, Jun 11, 2012.

1. chart33

chart33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to be in he market for an atv soon. I wanted to get some recommendations. It will be used for both utility (mowing, plowing, maybe food plots some day) and trail riding. What are people's thoughts?

2. BoneCollector81

BoneCollector81 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you will want a bigger one if you will be doing food plots and all that. depends what your looking for! we have a polaris 700 and 800. both have enough power to handle a small harrow for our plots. the 800 actually handled a john deere van brunt seed drill yesterday! we used it to plant a 2 acre field in soybeans. they are both also good for trail riding. pretty much all ATVs will cost a chunk. it seems like their price doesnt go down. ive never drove anything but polaris.

3. santibowhunter

santibowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the sportsman xp 850 is very good I can do everyhting with it

4. chart33

chart33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The area I would be using it is mostly wooded so if a food plot is doable it would be small. Half acre tops so I am not overly concerned with planting with it. Mostly mowing and plowing to some extent with trail riding too.

5. DVFD236

DVFD236 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Polaris ATP500 H.O. which is the model with a small dump bed on the back. I was unsure at first but now absolutely couldnt live without it! Everything that had to be tied and strapped before just casually sits in the bed.

1295675811422-1.jpg

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Polaris 500 H.O. 4x4 and I love it. It makes things a lot easier when traveling to and from areas that are hard to drive to.

7. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would suggest to read lots of reviews on all different makes and models. Find what best suits your needs.

8. chart33

chart33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Polaris makes the sportsman 550 x2 which converts from a utility atv with a dump to a two up which would be cool for trail riding with the fiancé.

Does anyone use tow behind mowers? If so how do they do cutting basic lawn?

9. Black-ice

Black-ice Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a older polaris 700, it was a tank and could pull anything. But all it did was nickle & dime me . So i started doing alot of research on all "09" models and every thing pointed towards the yamaha grizzly, it has top reveiws in all classes and atv shoot outs. Bought a 2009 griz 700,fuel injected, and power steering (big plus) 1500 miles so far not one prob. Love it. Did some cluch work so i could run 30 inch tires and no lift kit! zillas.jpg

10. chart33

chart33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is mean looking!

11. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honda 400 Rancher. These things just keep on going and going.

12. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    There are so many choices now that every response could recommend something different. I have a Yamaha Grizzly 660 and it's been fantastic, but what I really, really, REALLY want is a Can Am Commander 1000 Limited... in Blue. This thing is down-right sexy. :tu:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rcZFuVsjQY

Now if I could just convince my wife that I need to spend over $18,000.00 on yet another hunting toy...... :D

13. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hard to go wrong with a mid CC Honda. They last forever! Well almost! :)

14. jwebbmentor

jwebbmentor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Suzuki Kingquad LTF400. It's semi auto so you shift it with your foot. It also has a straight axle so if you are pulling a trailer or sprayer etc.. the shocks aren't bottomed out. Its been a work horse! I really like the semi auto seems like it doesn't rev like the autos.

15. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would say Polaris or Yamaha if you think your going to be doing a lot of pulling and trailriding. The Hondas will last forever but most ATVs will if you take care of them. Plus, Hondas will not touch Polaris or Yamaha on the trails. From what I have heard Suzuki makes good stuff too but I don't have much experience with them.

16. twillcox

twillcox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    get a yamaha. end of story

17. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought a Polaris Sportsman 800 on Saturday, and that thing is awesome. It definitely has plenty of power since I can pull the front end off the ground. Mine has a 3500 pound Polaris winch and a nice brush guard on it. Next thing to buy is the rack extenders and some meaty tires.

18. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is awesome Cole. I just looked at that one a few weeks ago. Hoping to pick up something this fall and that one is certainly at the top of my list. Post a few pics of it when you can!

19. BoneCollector81

BoneCollector81 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    05 or 06 polaris 800. not sure of year. with tracks.. it has yet to be stuck! its amazing. lots of fun also

Attached Files:

20. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Yamaha Grizzly 660, and replaced the stock tires with some Kendra Executioners to give it a bit more grip shall we say...Its great for trail rides, "mudding", food plots, snow plowing (without chained or studded tires), etc. My other half has a Polaris 800 Sportsman and rides the heck out of it, uses it for snow plowing, utility work, food plots, etc. It all depends on what you are looking for. If you are going to be riding through alot of heavy low laying brush and sticks, you may want to look into a CanAm. The radiator is in the rear along with a few other vital components, so there is less chance to break down because of a piece of fallen tree or brush going where it should not. Dont be afraid to ask about last years ATVs which may not have sold or the "demo" models. May save you a few dollars! 100_0676.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012