Atv sprayers ?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by trvsmarine, Mar 1, 2014.

1. trvsmarine

trvsmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Boomless vs boom ! I am going to be buying a sprayer for food plots and I'm not sure which application is best.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

2. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have used both. I prefer the boom less.

3. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I never used a boomless one. I made a boom for my Northern 10 gallon sprayer. I removed the wand. The boom fits inside of the wheels so I dont have to worry about it catching on anything :
    DSCF3686 (1024x768).jpg DSCF4480 (1024x768).jpg
    (orange bungee straps replaced with ratchet straps)

Hard to say what is better. I would say a boomless one for ease of set up/use/not catching on anything, but the boom's nozzles will have a finer atomization vs the single boomless nozzle.

Also the boom I think would be more precise vs a boomless.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  4. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Fimco 10" boom sprayer. I like it because I think it is more precise and easier to control on windy days. I plan on making a 3 point attachment for it to put on my tractor so I can spray RR crops in my food plots. Adjusting the spray with a lever instead of wrenches.

[​IMG]

5. trvsmarine

Dislikes Received:
    Hmmm. Well its a tough decision. I like the boom and feel it would work well on three of my five plots because those are in fields. But i have two plots that I may have issues with a boom catching on things or getting turned around. Looking at the fimco sprayers they have a two nozzle sprayer and the three nozzle sprayer. I'm thinking the three nozzle sprayer.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer the boomless just because I can cover ground faster with it. This from a guy that has sprayed 60 acres twice a summer with an ATV sprayer. I have a fimco with a three nozzle boomless stick on the back that sprays I believe a 45' swath and a 30 gallon tank.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  7. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought a Fimco 30g sprayer last night. It has both a boom and a hand sprayer. So we'll see this spring which I prefer.

8. trvsmarine

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to ordernone yesterday as well but I figured I would ask on here what guys think. Theres alot of applications and alot of different brands to choose from.

9. trvsmarine

Dislikes Received:
    Alright I bit the bullet. Just ordered the 25 gallon fimco with the three nozzle bar. Also ordered a moultrie atv spreader. Right now all I have is two hand spreaders. This should speed up the process.

10. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    good deal. Fimco's are good sprayers. I got a Northern Tool one, but like the ShurFlow pump on the fimco's. If my pump breaks, i am putting a shurflow pump on it.

Keep us updated on how you like it.

11. BlackRain75

BlackRain75 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Have any of you checked out our boomless sprayer called Black Rain. A lot of people are buying just the spot sprayer and attaching ours to the back of the ATV. Check em out Black Rain Boomless Sprayer

12. SlingnArrows

SlingnArrows Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like the boom sprayer if you are using liquid lime to foliage feed or something similar to that where you need a more precise coverage of the chemical. I do prefer the boomless for round up where you can hit the spots quicker and you don't need such precise coverage. The set up I have for the ATV is very easy to convert from boom to boomless. I also saw that you had invested in a spreader. A spreader is awesome for granular lime and fertilizers. I do however still recommend using a hand spreader for seed broadcasting. Reason being the atv spreader (at least the one I have) slings the seeds all over the place and doesn't broadcast the seed evenly nor precisely. The hand spreader takes more time but I yield much better results by taking the extra time to do so.

13. trvsmarine

Dislikes Received:
    Ya i have two hand spreaders for doing my seeds ! Love doing that part by hand !!!!!