ATTN: Predator Hunters HELP!!

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by CrabClawDude, Jan 11, 2013.

1. CrabClawDude

CrabClawDude Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After several nights in the whitetail stand this past fall being ruined due to coyotes running the deer off the fields...I really want to thin some out of the heard however up here in western WI Ik they are very smart and I never have hunted for them before and really want to learn a few things before I head out as I dont want other people tromping around my woods hunting them! So I plan on hunting them now that deer season is over and was wondering if there were any veterans here on the site that could give me a few tips...I have a caller and thats kinda how I planned on hunting them but all tips/ techniques would be appreciated! Thanks

2. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you need a good gun with some shooting sticks or a bipod. coyotes see and smell very well. wear camo over your face if possible and make sure you have a good back drop cause they will silouet you and take off. sent control is a must. eastern coyotes will not run strait to your call they will walk sideways to it so they can get down wind of you.

i use i foxpro wildfire call with a jack attack decoy and a ar-15 or a model 700 22-250

3. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Decoy with the caller. It's key to keep his eyes fixed on the decoy instead of you.

4. Claydoh

Claydoh Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Don't face the wind, more like quartering so you can see your downwind. They will circle you. Don't call too much. They heard ya. Give each stand a good 45-60 minutes. No hailmary shots. Better to let them walk than shoot and miss.

5. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    oh and try not to hunt the same stand over and over again