ATA Question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Matt, Jan 20, 2023.

1. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not the trade show lol

Thoughts on short vs long ATA, and why??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    longer axle is more stable ...also better string angle for anchor .. I refuse to shoot a bow under 33" ... I have the SR350 which is 33" a to a ... great shooting bow, the SS34 is even better ... there are reasons pros in competition shoot longer A to A bows both in indoor and 3D ... never had a problem with longer bows in treestands or blinds either, THAT is a fallacy ... of course if one has a very short draw length, or T-Rex sized arms or is a midget in stature a shorter bow may suffice ...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    alenhard15 likes this.
  3. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Longer ATA is simply more foregiving. I myself like a 33-34 ATA bow. I like the string angle much better and its easier to get a longer bow to balance out better with stabiliziers than it is a short bow.

That being said, there was a phenomenon happening where the risers were almost as long as the ATA of the bow. This really does make the bow feel longer than it is. I say felt ATA, not actual ATA. Then one company is putting gigantic cams on the bows to boot, furthering the perceived felt ATA of the bow.

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've owned a handful of short ATA bows, including multiple bows under 30 inches, and I have never had an issue shooting them. If you have a draw length over 29 inches, the string angle may get tough, but for 29 and under, it's not nearly as big of an issue as people want it to be.

For most bowhunters with average shooting skills, the short bows will shoot just as well as the longer ones. IMO, it's an over-emphasized point of concern for most shooters when debating bows based solely on their specs. We obsess over an ounce here or an inch there when, in the end, neither of them matters all that much.

Shoot both and see which one you like better. You may just be shocked to find the shorter one works better for you - no matter what the Internet says. :chewy:

cantexian and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  5. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a 29" draw and on most shorty bows, under 31", I could never get the feel I like in draw length, etc. Sure I could shoot it decent, but it wasn't comfortable or have that "second nature" feel to it.

You're right most shooters who don't dive into it much and shoot a few times a year won't notice it. But we get it Justin... hitting ANYWHERE on a target is good enough for some of you... :moose:

But, if we're having a technical discussion, there absolutely is an advantage to longer ata. There is a reason that competitive shooters aren't standing on the line with the little 30 ATA kiddie bows with the gigantic cams... lol.

cantexian and Justin like this.
  6. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My last three bows have been a 30", a 33", and a 32".
    I shoot the 30" and the 33" well, both have great pin float for me and I can't tell a difference between them in accuracy. The 32" I do not shoot well, for some reason it has the worst pin float of any bow I've ever owned no matter how I change the setup on it.
    I say the above to try to give importance to Justin's advice. Unless you have a draw length over 29" or so, the axle to axle is much less important than other aspects of the bow in determining how well you'll shoot it. Unless you are looking for a bow to shoot indoor type competitions and are going to be trying to hit 1/2" spots over and over.
    Go shoot some bows at a few shops. I like to bring my own release, arrows, and a direct mount sight. My own release gives me some familiarity, my own arrows allow me to compare the shot noise and feel with the weight of arrow I normally use, and the sight lets me see how well the bow holds for me (pin float). There will be one that stands out to you.