Asking For Permission

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by SmokinMOBucks, Nov 8, 2013.

1. SmokinMOBucks

SmokinMOBucks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I am a 20 year old college student and I dont have much time to drive to hunting properties hours away. Luckily my college is in a farm town and there are many farms around. I was wondering how you guys go about asking these farmers for permission to bowhunt on their properties?

Things to consider: I am a small guy (5 ft 9 inches 150 LB), and on top of that i look like I'm 16 or 17 years old (may benefit me one day). I feel like a farmer will be less willing to trust me considering my age and how young I look.

I am willing to offer any labor, meat, and possibly a reasonable amount of money if those are the tactics you guys use. Any honest opinions from BOD staff or any other members would be much appreciated.

PS: I have been watching your show for about a month and today I have finally caught up to you guys. Best hunting show I've ever watched. Keep it up! Bowhunt or Die!!!

2. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I'll try to keep this as short as I can. Getting permission can be a tough thing to do, but think of it this way. The worst that comes out of it, is them saying "No". If that happens, then you thank them for their time and move on. Wear decent clothes other than camo, and just tell them who you are and that you were wondering if you can have the privilege of hunting their land. Make it clear if it's only going to be you, than its only you. I think this is where a lot of people ruin it for them selves. If you plan on hunting with a buddy than he or she should be with, and ask for both of you. I often hear how people lose permission because they take other people along, when the other people didn't have permission. I think what landowners are looking for is "Trust". Trust isn't given, it is earned. If by chance you get permission to hunt someone's land, than treat it as if it was yours. Be honest with them, and if you need help tracking, or dragging, than ask them if it's alright that someone comes along and helps. Again, if they see that you're a stand-up person, than you'll gain their trust. So I know this wasn't short, but I hope it helps. Be honest, have the courage to talk to a stranger, and that's about it. Good luck in your search!

3. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Dean pretty much nailed everything! I hope you find what your looking for, good luck :)

4. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure you take your student ID with you to show you are in fact a student at the local college and are in need of local land to hunt since you are away from home. Offer up some character references especially if you have hunted on others property before. Honesty and respect will still get you farther in life than money no matter what others may tell you. Most farmers would rather let someone that shows gratefulness and willing to repay the debt for the chance to hunt with some good ole sweat. Anyone can walk up and pay there way on to a property but few come ready to work.

5. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That and post in the right section :P

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not pro-staff but have had success in this category.

Make sure like Dean said you always ask permission for anything outside of agreed/discussed terms.

Having someone help hang stands? Ask.

Having someone help track? Ask.

Shot a deer and will be tracking at night? Call to inform them so they don't worry who is back there.

See trash? Pick it up.

That's all if you get access, getting access there is two approaches I and most others use.

Knocking on doors is the first.

Don't overdress but don't show up in torn jeans, boots and a t-shirt. It's not necessary but the sad reality is if you look presentable it may help your case. Be very clear like Dean said it's just for you and you alone. Be clear to point out nothing will ever occur without their consent and you are asking strictly for bow hunting, this has been the BIGGEST tool in gaining permission for me, I state while I'll hunt throughout the year it will always only be with bow equipment (realize some states this isn't an option so check yours). I also will always have a liability release form signed by myself ready to hand over to them with a hand shake.

Writing a letter is the second way.

I personally like this method, but it is always followed up days later with a visit to the actual property and door knocking happens. The letter allows you to lay out everything stated above, attach a liability form, introduce yourself somewhat and describe the type of hunter you are before being shot down or cut off. I end every letter explaining that I wrote the letter in hopes to not be viewed as intrusive in nature just showing up and possibly seeming rude...and will hopefully swing by in the coming days to discuss whether or not hunting their place is an option or not. I will always give mailing address, phone number and email as if they know right away it's a NO they can inform you and you don't always have to waste a trip.

I do this also to neighboring land owners that I'm seeking not to hunt, but just a good relationship with them so that way if a deer ever crosses into their property they "know" me somewhat and know for a fact I'll call before commencing the search via trespassing. This has led to being able to hunt one spot even after a few years! :)

7. SmokinMOBucks

SmokinMOBucks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys I appreciate the help. And I apologize for putting this I'm the wrong section (realized it right after posting)

8. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like this and think I will use it. Is there any way I could get a copy of your letter and or your liability form? Is it like a hold harmless clause? Any lawyers out there?

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I got a link on my site somewhere...will attempt to find it. The liability clause is a gesture of good faith and like everything a high dollar lawyer could fight through it, but that is such the case for everything. It would however lesson the possibility that you suit them if you should ever meet harm while on their property.