As we age......?

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by CamoKoop, Aug 1, 2020 at 9:50 AM.

1. CamoKoop

CamoKoop Newb

Dislikes Received:
    As we age; watching Bowhunting or Die web show now for over 10 years (Congrats). I, like most of your older loyal fans are facing some age related challenges. I want to be able to extend my use of my(a) bow as long as possible before having to convert to a cross bow.
    As men (and women) age it becomes more difficult to maintain strength and flexibility. What adjustments to our equipment can be performed to help us stay in our tree stands with our favorite bow as long as possible? i.e. draw weight, % of let off, etc....

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum!

Never stop working out or give up with status quo . A sedentary lifestyle is never a good idea for bow hunters. Keep moving!

cantexian, oldnotdead and dnoodles like this.
  3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the Forum! As Fix said, keep moving. Strength training is key to being strong and capable as we age. I will soon be 52 (not old by any means) but I still climb trees by grabbing the branches and pulling and making my way up. I say this because so many people stop doing the things they once did and they no longer use those muscles. Stay active and use those bow shooting muscles as much as you can by shooting often and working out. Good Luck hunting this year!

4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What the guys said and understanding your equipment. I shoot 49#'s and know I can get clean pass throughs at 35 yrds.. That is not on an alert deer though. Not on one with it's head down able to drop faster than my arrow. So knowing your game as well. Dr Woods has some good stuff on that subject. I'm not a gym goer anymore but I do own a suspension gym which is great for your arms shoulder strength and an elliptical for your legs and cardio. Though nothing beats a daily hike, working the woods and any land you can.

5. John T.

John T. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My son took possession of his PSE bow with 60-70 lb. draw. He was surprised as how his muscle tone had diminished, even at 60 lb.

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    "Shooting a bow" muscles aren't ones that are used often in daily life - especially if you happen to have an office job. I've seen grown men who regularly hit the gym and are considered in good shape have a rough time drawing back a 70 lb bow. So, I would say that's totally normal. The positive note is that it seems to come back fairly quickly - for me anyways. A few arrows a night is all it takes.

As for the original question - it's certainly something that a few guys on our team have faced in recent years. Todd has bad shoulder problems and has reduced his draw weight from 70 lbs down to 60 lbs to help compensate for that. I believe that's the quickest and easiest method for people struggling with shooting higher poundage. Keep in mind you will likely need to adjust other things - arrows (spine), sight pin gaps/sight tape, etc.

I haven't personally seen anyone adjust letoff or move to a higher letoff bow, but that certainly wouldn't be out of the question. Being able to hold steady at full draw is an important part of archery. You may also consider lightening your setup wherever you can to help with that.

And as everyone else has said - staying physically active, exercising, stretching, and eating right are all great ideas for all aspects of health - not just hunting. We don't all need to be Cam Hanes, but hitting the gym a few times a week, doing stretches at home, trading soda/beer for water, and getting off your butt more often are things just about anyone can do.

oldnotdead likes this.