Arrows

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Mpeck2892, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Mpeck2892

Mpeck2892 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    so I wanted to get into some traditional archery, so 2 years ago I bought a old bear grizzly 50# recurve. The shop sold me 3 beman 500 spine bow hunter arrows to get started. They are cut just a little longer then my draw length. I shot it alot the first year, but this last year got busy and never used it. I want to get kinda serious with it this year so I can go hunting with it.

My question is these arrows seem way to light for hunting, was thinking of getting some Easton 2018s. Does anybody else shoot a bow around this weight and have any recommendations for some hunting arrows? My draw is 28in, so I believe it should be pretty close to the 50# draw.

2. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A 1916, .623 spine aluminum is tunable which weighs 10 grains per inch , also 2016's are 10.6 /inch....531 spine which are tunable at your draw weight. A complete arrow weighing around 500 grains will give you a nice hunting arrow for whitetails

Mpeck2892 likes this.
  3. Cottontop

Cottontop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2016's would be the ticket for a 50lber @ 28" you would most likely want a few 125,145 and maybe even 175 grain points in 5/16. If you check out 3 rivers.com they handle "test kits" where you get a few different tip weights to try out when tuning your outfit. If you shop around on the net you may be able to find someone selling 2016's used for a good price.

Mpeck2892 likes this.
  4. Mpeck2892

Mpeck2892 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input, I was between 2016 and 2018's. But was thinking 2018 was going to be a better fit. I'll be going with 2016's now then. At some point I'd like to use wood arrows, but I know nothing about them or how they are rated, any inputs on woods arrows I could look for in the future?

5. Cottontop

Cottontop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do your homework on wood, if you try to cheap out you will pull your hair out trying to get consistency. Check out Tradgang.com their are a bunch on there that are nuts about wood. Rosecityarchery.com is another place that still handles port orford cedar in different grades. Wood arrows require a lot of attention but can be rewarding if you have the time and patience.

6. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Surewood Shafts is another great place for quality shafts and there are a number other good places too. Wood is all I've shot for years, aluminum is also good but I just enjoy making my own arrows.. Rit powder dye mixed with denatured alcohol allows many different colors you can stain your wood shafts, just to dress them up anyway you like... Chris

7. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My draw is a bit longer and draw # is 52 lbs and in aluminum shot 2017' s with 145 gr heads and total weight of 525 gr. With wood I bare shaft tune each shaft. By cutting length and rotating the nock you can fine tune your grouping. Your shafts maybe different lengths but is how you control spine.

8. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Typo .....on the 2017's ? , don't think there is a 2017.

9. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2117...... oops.

10. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've used Hildebrand wood shafts, as well as some POC that I ordered from 3 rivers archery. Both have worked well for me the last couple of years and seem to be quality shafts. Finishing my own arrows from raw shafts is nice to be able to do. Lots of different options to customize them.