arrows that require outserts

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by ganderss2424, Dec 5, 2018.

1. ganderss2424

ganderss2424 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can some of you who are using arrows that have or require outserts give me some feedback. i.e.

have you noticed any difference in flight characteristics? Accuracy? Ease of pulling them out of targets? speed loss/gain? penetration?

pictures would be a huge bonus!

thanks for your time and input.

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    image.jpg BD40B911-4D74-49CD-80A4-D52A6712726D.jpeg Ganders,

It really depends on design. For example the older outsert on the BlackEagle arrows where horrible. They were a pain to get out of targets. The new half-serts are tapered and I haven’t experienced the same issue.

The top picture is the old. The bottom the new one.

The new one is made of steel and is solid. I have a short draw length so the extra weight helps me get the weight I want and a decent FOC. For smaller diameter arrows like the Rampage it negates the need for broadhead adapter rings (BAR) and such.

If you have an arrow that doesn't have an outsert that you like you can always get brass or steel inserts for most arrows that will accomplish the same thing.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've tried a lot of them, and haven't found a single outsert system that will not have a high likelyhood of bending from even light use in bag targets. I decided that the benefits of micro diameter arrows for a hunting bow don't outweigh the problems you get with the required insert components.

I've since been shooting Black Eagle Rampages with brass HIT inserts and get the benefits of a smaller diameter shaft with no insert issues.

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^ he said. Outserts, half outs ...they all stink . All will either bend or wobble with consistent use. All allow more lateral force to be applied to the end of the shaft which increases the likelihood of failure.
    And none are worth the added effort To maintain them.

.204 I'd shafts with hits and footers are a better choice.

5. thetodd13

thetodd13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the piledriver pass thru extremes and after a few months of practice using the outserts I realized I would be ditching them. All they did was splinter the ends of the arrows because they allow the fp to leverage against the arrow splitting it. I switched to HIT inserts and the gold tip ballistic collar and havent had a problem since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. ganderss2424

ganderss2424 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the feedback. seems like half outs/ outserts may be more headache than they are worth. It's too bad because I really wanted to give the micro shafts a try!