Arrow weight question

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by BB4tw, Dec 28, 2017.

1. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm once again dipping my toes into the trad waters. This time around I'm doing it properly and bought arrows to go specifically with the recurve instead of just playing around with the arrows I had on hand for my compound. Makes a big difference when you have properly tuned arrows.

My question is about total arrow weight.

I'm shooting Easton xx75 Gamegetters 340 spine 32 inches long from a 44ish pound recurve at my draw length. (40lbs at 28, drawn to 30)

With a 150 grain point, I have a total arrow weight 594 grains and a foc of just over 12%

I'm sure the arrow weight is plenty good for hunting but is it good for the draw weight of my bow? It's not too much is it?

I can go down to a 125 grain tip and still still be in tune.

Sent from my XT1030 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Personal choice, a tunable arrow is what matters provided your form is consistent enough to tune. Are your bare shafts grouping with your fletched arrows?

Some like light arrows some heavy. Between 9 and 10 grns. per lb. draw weight is what I prefer for whitetails

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At those weights and with your draw length and weight 25 grains either way is negligible. I would go with the set up that yielded the most consistent flight.

4. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As for.... " arrow weight good for the draw weight" you are pulling , not sure what you are asking . But if your bare shafts are grouping with fletched, it doesn't matter.

5. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure what a .340 spine translates into for an aluminum arrow but it sounds stiff to me.. At 44 pounds I wouldn't exceed 440 grains unless you're gonna hunt very large game. It's your choice, if you like the way they're shooting then stay right with them..

chris