Arrow weight for big game?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by ctrupp, Mar 2, 2015.

1. countryfamily

countryfamily Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot NAP thunderheads 3 blades an I like them they have been around for sometime. That an I can't shoot mechanical broadheads in my state. But besides that I personally like solid broadheads over mechanical because its one less thing that can go wrong when I'm goin out for more than a day. Last thing I want is a broadhead to fail when the perfect opportunity presents its self. Especially when you are hunting as hard for an elk. Its not like you sit in a stand an they walk by. ( no afence to anyone). But with a good broadhead an proper tuning with them you'll be just fine. But again just my .02 cents worth

2. Ske1etor

Ske1etor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    7-8 grains per pound of draw weight.

3. L.C.B.H

L.C.B.H Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like to keep my arrow weight in between 435-520 gr for moose.

4. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    With a lower draw weight and even at higher draw weights a fixed broadhead will have more penetration power than a mechanical will.

5. bigfootcali

bigfootcali Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So even with a higher draw weight and broadhead like nap killzone c.o.c, you still would get more penetration with a fixed blade at the same draw weight.I'm curious on how the works if you could give me some more details p.m me I wanna learn

6. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
  7. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very good article scraps.
    When I hunt the Midwest I use expandable heads for whitetail and they work great. Here at home I use fixed heads for elk and I should say mule deer but that's only because the bow hunt for elk and deer are at the same time. I like the Magnus Stingers but that's my preference. I have shot the Ramcats with good out comes to. I have a good hunting buddy that uses grim reapers for elk and has done well.

8. ctrupp

ctrupp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the help. I have been going around and around on the right arrow. I think I have settled on an arrow that will come in at 482 grains with 14% FOC. I think this will serve me well as a multi species hunting arrow. What do you think? Thanks.

9. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    That should work fine. Some others on this forum can really get fine tuned on arrow set ups. I don't have the knowledge that some do here. Your weight is good for out west at least in regards to something like elk.

10. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    It looks like your arrow weight is probably somewhere around 380 grains, maybe more if you have arrow wraps and depending on what fletchings you have. Probably a little light for elk at 60lbs and I would be a little hesitant to shoot the killzone with that setup. I would strongly consider adding some heavier brass inserts and a fixed blade head. I've shot a lot of whitetails at 70+lbs, 29" draw with a small diameter 435ish grain arrow and rarely get passthroughs with the KZ. If you're set on a mechanical head you may want to try the KZ Low KE.