Arrow setup....

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kentuckybuck, Jan 9, 2020.

1. kentuckybuck

kentuckybuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I just wanted to see what you all shot and opinions. I am hunting whitetails mostly. I am thinking of trying the Easton Axis in 300 spine with a 50 gr. tip insert. Then figured I'd shoot 100 gr. broad head. I'll be shooting with my Mathews Halon 32 in 70#. I just want to make sure I get good penetration. But I'd love to hear your alls set up or opinions on what I mentioned going to. I am no pro, heck merely an amateur ha, so I don't mind any help, info, or criticism. Thanks.

JGD and BowhuntOnly like this.
  2. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At 70# you can get away with a heavy arrow and as you aproach 500 grains you get better penetration...from my experience. There are a few other things to consider with penetration, like broadhead choice. If speed is not your goal, you can go heavier than 500 grains. Your setup, seems ok to me...if you are confident in it, you will be accurate and that will kill a deer! Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

kentuckybuck likes this.
  3. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    whats the draw length?

4. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a 340 Easton Axis with a 75 grain insert, 100 gr broadhead and lighted knock at 65 lbs and 29” draw. I use this setup for elk, deer, antelope, bear and hogs and get pass throughs. Took a moose with this as well and it performed great.

kentuckybuck likes this.
  5. kentuckybuck

Dislikes Received:
    30 inch draw.

6. kentuckybuck

Dislikes Received:
    Appreciate the feedback! Sorry not responded sooner, I usually get email notifying me but not the case . But I have been shooting the Axis 340's with no insert, lighted nock, and 100 gr broadhead. So really not changing anything other than the arrow spine.

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    28.5 inch draw here and 63 LBS and my arrows are 600+ grains...with your draw and weight I'm 100% minimum building a 650 grain build if not 700. I already fear no shoulder...with your set up I could just plan on destroying them intentionally.

8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What spine is your arrow. I shoot a 300 spine at 470 grains 26.5" draw @ 70lbs. I am looking at building it to 550+ for next year. I am hoping increase the arrow weight without needing a stiffer spine since I just received new arrows for Christmas.

9. kentuckybuck

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate it! That is something I might just look at trying to do! Thanks!

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Spine ratings are not exactly same from company to company so take it with a grain of salt, but I shoot Black Eagle Deep Impacts at the 300 spine rating.

cantexian likes this.
  11. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Good to know. I am shooting Black Eagle Renegades in 300 spine.

12. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good to know you and Ty are shooting BE and your specs. My draw falls in between the two of you and been looking at the BE line or the FMJs. Thinking 125gr BH and a 50gr insert and landing around 550gr.

13. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    The Renegades come with 56 grain half-out insert. Which I love, but with my short draw length and a 100 grain head, I am only around 470 grains to 480 grains depending on three or four fletch. I am wanting something heavier that will blow through both shoulders if I happen to hit shoulders.

14. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am curious. When folks say shooting 70 pounds, you can add on the grains. Not all 70 pound bows are equal though. There are shorter draws, lower IBO bows, etc. I shoot two 70 pound bows and my draw length is 28 inches. One bow is a 315 IBO and the other 325. My TAW is 444 grains. Would I be as well off shooting a 500 grain arrow as someone with a longer draw or faster bow? I have always felt it is all about balance based on a number of factors not just draw weight. I want to shoot a heavier arrow, I just wonder if I should considering my setup specs. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated. Thanks and have a blessed day.

15. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It really depends on what you're expecting/wanting from going to a heavier arrow.
    Honestly, the only real loss going to a heavier arrow is the drop. Meaning if you are doing a lot of shooting at unknown distances, requiring you to judge the yardage, then heavier/slower is just going to mean you have to be able to at judge yardage pretty accurately, IMO to within about +/- 3 yards. If you ambush hunt and know the distance ahead of time, then the above isn't even a factor unless you're taking long shots on jumpy animals that are looking at you.

I also have two bows, my old bow at 70 lbs throws my "light" arrows (380 grains) at 268 fps, the newer one throws the same arrow at 306 fps. I bumped up to a 430 grain arrow and backed my newer, faster bow to 65 lbs and still am getting faster than the old bow. A much better balance, like you said. I gained momentum and a quieter shot. The difference at 35 yards, aiming with my 30 yard pin to simulate misjudging the distance by 5 yards, between the lighter arrow and heavier arrow was a whopping 3" once sighted in.
    With that being said, those light 380 grain arrows at 268 fps were going right through elk...but don't hit the shoulder. Heavier arrows give you a chance when a poor shot is made into the shoulder.

3jadaben95 likes this.
  16. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey I appreciate the feedback. Mainly it would be for the momentum factor. I love how heavy arrows shoot as well. I shot a 550 grain arrow that a buddy uses and loved it. They make the shot quiet and just overall feel sweeter. It may be in my head, who knows. I have never been to concerned with drop being the places I hunt only give me shots typically 25 and under. A couple spots around 30. I always range little land markers like rocks, bushes, trees, etc so I typically know distances throughout my shooting lanes prior to the shot. I’m not sure I want to change things because they are working now. Somethings to think about I guess. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. GMCmedic

GMCmedic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    28.5" draw at 63#. Shooting a 350 spine, 630 gr day six arrow. 100gr outsert and 200 grain single bevel broadhead. Traveling at a lightning fast 203fps.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

18. texrider1212

texrider1212 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Look at the ethics outserts. Its a good way to play with different weights. I shoot 646 gr at 29.5in #70.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk