Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Arrow Setup

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by MnHunterr, Apr 13, 2015.

1. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all for the advice... I have seriously learned a lot just from this thread.

2. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just a thought.... Some guys are speed freeks and some like good hunting setups. Most guys on here are pretty knowledgable. MaxPetros is definitely on the right track. I would try for something in the 450 grain total weight area. That will give you good kinetic energy and also good momentum. Some guys really overlook Momentum and its just as important on medium to larger game.

Heres a really good article to check out.

Momentum Beats Speed for Lethal Arrow Hits | Quality Deer Management Association

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So... I've went to 2 different shops since I started this thread and each of them have tried to get me to switch my set up.

I want to shoot my Gold Tip XT Hunter 340's as I already have 6 of them... I have a 7" white onestringer wrap on each of them and have the 2.1" Fusion vanes @ 7 grains.

What is the exact arrow set up would you guys reccomend? As I stated, I dont know much about this stuff.

4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What's are they trying to get you to change it to? The one I outlined above is a set up I would have the utmost confidence in. If they tried to push you to a lighter set up they are not knowledgeable enough to realize the benefits of those arrows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Pony30

Pony30 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just make sure the BH clears your hand and rest when fully drawn. I'm a 31.5 draw and believe my arrows are slightly over 32 inches. There are a number of websites that calculate FOC when measurements are input.

I use 300 spine FMJs with 125 grain head. If I could do over again, I would have used brass insert to get more FOC while using a 100 grain BH.