Arrow selection help

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Jordantone1, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Jordantone1

Jordantone1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everyone I just recently purchased a bear super kodiak 50# recurve. I also got some arrows and want to know if I got the right stuff? If not what suggestions you may have to help put me on the right track?

I purchased Easton xx75 2117s with the specific 29grain inserts for those arrows. I also have 125 grain practice tips and 150 grain broad heads. I plan on cutting them 31” long as I have a 28.75-29” draw. I believe the arrows are right at 400 spine but I’m not 100% sure.

Any help or guidance is appreciated. I have a hard time figuring this out when I get a new bow, and this is my first TRADITIONAL bow so I want to make sure I’m doing this right.

2. ArOnTheFly

ArOnTheFly Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was in the same boat 2 yrs back. Just Google grizzlystik arrows, found them 2 yrs ago and they just did a podcast on meateater. Link to podcast is on grizzly stik website.
    Many would call it over kill but I'm going with their "650" set up and their 200 grain samurai broadheads. For whitetail.

Jordantone1 likes this.
  3. Jordantone1

Jordantone1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much for the response. I am happy to give this brand a try. I’ve gotten fairly accurate with the arrows I listed however at past 20-25 yards they are not quite accurate and I don’t think I can blame bad form or anything for the difference in accuracy.

these arrows and broadheads you mentioned you think will be good for a 50# super kodiak? I looked on their site a little bit. Saw they have TDT 170, 240, 320, and 400. They don’t really explain what that means but I’m guessing spine? I was going to pick the 400 but since you have some experience here I wanted to ask you?

4. ArOnTheFly

ArOnTheFly Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to try the 400, I'd suggest emailing them or calling they are the pros. To somewhat answer your question that is grain for the listing on their site you are correct. However there is a tipping point where a heavy broadhead requires a stiffer spine aka 400 grain or 320 may be best for a 50lbs bow. They can likely tell you or let you buy one to test with b4 you commit to an entire pack.

5. ArOnTheFly

ArOnTheFly Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry more thoughts- do some googling/youtube on tuning recurve. If you have a Flemish string you may find putting a few extra twists on your string changes your brace height measurement. Thus changing how tight the string is which changes the true poundage of your bow.
    I like Clay Hayes on YouTube amongst others.

6. Jordantone1

Jordantone1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey! So I did reach out to them (still waiting on a response) but I’m pretty sure the 320 is gonna be what I’ll need. At 125-150 grain tips even the 400 spine eastons are perfect tuned so I have to imagine with an extra 50-75 grains added I’ll need that much stiffer of a spine for the added weight.

I have heard that as well about the Flemish strings! I am lucky enough that my bow was perfectly in tune at the brace height recommended by bear which is 8 1/4 inches. So when I go my full draw I’m pulling right about 52lbs since I have about an inch more than normal users. I do need to formally check how much poundage my bow is putting out at my draw though since I know they differ from each and I haven’t actually tested that yet.

7. Jordantone1

Jordantone1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    And at 270$ for 6 arrows+broadheads I can only imagine how great these arrows will be. I’ll just be needing to adjust my shot and practice for the extra weight