Arrow Saw!

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by Bow String Depot, May 12, 2014.

1. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here is an arrow saw I made out of an old bed rail, sewing machine motor and presser foot.

324.jpg 323.jpg 322.jpg

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work! What'd you use for the nock holder?

3. Bow String Depot

Dislikes Received:
    I ground a bolt down to fit a nock. Then I drilled a hole in the slide and put it in the hole. I put a tack weld on the back of the slide and the bolt still turns. That way you can spin the arrow.

Hutch

4. AJBowhunter

AJBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That looks like something you would buy at the store! Do you know what the motor revs at?

Sent from my iPhone 5S

5. Bow String Depot

Dislikes Received:
    I believe this motor I got off eBay rpms are 8000. Set up right you can use a 5000 rpm as well but I wouldn't go any lower.
    I have used it for many years and it works fine.

Hutch

6. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Post as many details as you can, I have been wanting to make one! looks nice!

7. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i was wanting to make one using a dremel

8. Bow String Depot

Dislikes Received:
    All of this can be found laying around the house. Old barbeque, bed rail, sewing machine and presser foot.
    42" piece of steel angle iron
    36" Aluminum or steel yard stick
    2 pieces of 3/4 or 1/2 inch square stock for the legs approx. 3inches long
    Sewing machine and presser foot. (can be found on eBay)
    hardware store for 2 collars to fit the motor to hold the blade.

First take the angle iron and cut out the left back part of the angle iron and leave the base to mount the motor. Measure how long the motor is and cut that much of the back wall out. look at this pic.
    100_3758.jpg

At this point take the 2 pieces of square stock and drill and bolt them to the ends of the angle iron as legs.
    100_3760.jpg

Once you have the legs on, Bolt your motor on I had brackets with my motor. You might have to modify some brackets. Remember when you bolt the motor on you need the spindle pointing towards the long part of the angle iron. Also you need to make sure you have it close to the back wall but not past it. This is so you can change your blade with out removing the motor. *** MAKE SURE YOU SQUARE THE MOTOR TO THE BACK WALL FOR A SQUARE CUT.

100_3767.jpg
    100_3769.jpg
    100_3770.jpg

9. Bow String Depot

Dislikes Received:
    Now that the motor is one slide your first collar on the tighten the set screw. then slide your cutting wheel on (these can be bought from eBay or a hardware store). Then slide the next collar on and tighten it. Make sure its tight.
    For the cutting table I used a piece of square stock from one of the legs I had cut off. I also used a piece of flat steel and cut a slot in it to fit over the cutter. But not too deep of a cut. This table sits to the mid of the cutting wheel. I welded mine on and you will need to have a little piece of angle for the backstop for the arrow to rest against. Take a look at the pic
    100_3767.jpg

Once all this is done you will need to bolt the yardstick to the back of the angle iron and line it up with the cutter.
    Now for the last piece to build the arrow slide. You will need a piece of steel or aluminum that is the depth and width of the angle iron. Basically square and a quarter to half inch thick. It will need a cut in it as a grove to slide over the back of the angle iron and yard stick. The cut will have to be long enough to have it hit the bottom. I welded a nut on the backside of the block and put a tee handle bolt in it for tighten into place.

100_3771.jpg

10. Bow String Depot

Dislikes Received:
    Last thing in the arrow slide you can drill a hole deep enough for the nock to fit up to the throat of it, or you can grind a bolt down to fit in an arrow nock. Then drill a hole slightly bigger then it and push the bolt through the backside and cover it so it can't come out. This will allow you to clip the arrow on the bolt and spin it. ****Remember to use an arrow and lay it as if it were going it be cut and measure it to the back wall all the way down to make sure you drill the hole the right height and to be sure its square. Hope this all makes sense.

Hutch

11. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for taking time to for taking time to do that! Im going to build one when i get time!

12. Bow String Depot

Dislikes Received:
    pm me if you have any questions