Arrow Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by stuntriders, Nov 29, 2010.

1. stuntriders

stuntriders Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Will a carbon arrow's spine become weaker over time and shooting?

If so, do you know how much they could degrade?

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, however it tends to happen over a very extended period of time, like many thousands of shots.

No way to determine tolerances of spine degradation. If your experiencing an issue with spine tolerance, I would wonder if it was a proble out of the box vs. from being shot too much.

Can you share a bit of info about the problem your having and the exact arrow/bow setup being used?

3. stuntriders

Dislikes Received:
    I am getting a weak arrow according to the easton tuning guide, with what appears to be some pretty serious fishtailing while bare shaft tuning.

@ 20yds my bare shafts are hitting approx. 7" to the right but they are hitting at such an angle the the nock end is almost touching the fletched arrows.

I have gone through the basic setup and triple checked that my center shot is correct. Here is a link to the other thread that spawned this question: http://forums.bowhunting.com/showthread.php?t=17290

4. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Your thread doesn't state head weight, fletching type, or what Goldtip your shooting.

I need exact bow model and year, draw length, draw weight, arrow model, shaft length, fletching type, head weight, etc.

And your centershot should be at 13/16". All Mathews are supposed to be set there, or within a hair of it.

5. stuntriders

Dislikes Received:
    2003 SQ2
    29" draw
    62lbs draw weight
    Gold Tip pro hunter 7595 black
    29" arrow length
    2" blazer vanes
    100gr tips

13/16" from what? I used a center shot tool to make sure that the cam, string and arrow were all lined up.

I have put all this info into OT2 and it said my spine is on the stiff side, but this is the arrow GoldTip recommends on their site. I bought this bow and arrows used from an avid archer. Obviously I don't know how much he used the arrows but I would guess a lot, and I have put each of them down range at least 500 times. That is why I was asking about the spine.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  6. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    13/16" from the inside of the riser. Mathews come with a line on the grip that you should be able to eyeball the string down, and the arrow should line up perfectly.

The 75/95's are actually waaaaaaaay overspined for your setup, I would recommend to everyone to double check what they recommend on the site with a tool like OT2. Sometimes arrows do funny things when you go to an extreme in either direction. You really need something with a .400 spine arrow, your current arrows are a .295. If your stuck on GoldTip, a 55/75 would be nearly perfect. If you asked me I'd recommend a Victory VAP 400 with the 5/16" penetrator insert, and leave everything else on your setup identical.

7. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I thought the 7595 were a .340, but I agree, he's WAY overspined, he could probably get away with a .400 spine and a 125gr tip and be good as far as that goes. I don't have OT2 at my fingertips right now, but that's a set-up that certainly is on the medium to lower side for .400's.

If OT2 said you were weak spined, you're not doing something right. I've run HUNDREDS of set-ups on OT2, and the only ones that need a .340 spine at 62# are bows that have IBO of 335+, even at 29" DL.

8. Deerslayer7

Deerslayer7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have shot two deer with the same arrow and missed a deer with that arrow straight into the ground, both clean pass throughs on the deer i killed, arrow is still straight.

FMJ cant go wrong

9. stuntriders

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is to old. The grip doesn't have the line down it.

Ohbowhntr is right the arrows have a .340 spine, but I am not sure if that is at the full length arrow or at 29".

10. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Your right, I was looking at the shaft diameter rather than the spine, it is a .340. You still would be better off with a .400 unless you want to add weights to the back of your insert. If you go with the 55/75's, drop the bow to 60lbs, and cut the shafts at 28".......it should be just about perfect.

Also, static spine measurements published on arrows don't change when the shaft is cut. When a manufacturer indicates their arrow is a .340 spine, this means that the arrow is sitting on two points 26 inches apart. They they put a 2lb load on the shaft exactly in the middle of those two points. .340 means that the shaft is deflecting .340 of an inch when measured in this manner. This is typically measured using a dial indicator that is setup on a spine measuring tool. If the shaft is 30", or 28".........it's still being measured over a 26" span for the industry standard to measure an arrows spine.

11. stuntriders

Dislikes Received:
    Good to know. I am going to see if my local pro shop will be willing to let me try some arrows and see what happens.

12. stuntriders

Dislikes Received:
    So I got to thinking...what would happen if I increased my draw # to 65 and put 125gr tips on?

13. stuntriders

Dislikes Received:
    Any thoughts?? ^^^^