Arrow Question...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MNKK, Oct 28, 2008.

1. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been reading on this site for a couple weeks now, and something I have always wondered was something that I have seen constantly on this site.
    I know this may be beating a dead horse, but...
    Why do all of you guys use carbon arrows? What has sold you on them, or makes you prefer them over aluminum?
    Sure, I have been curious, but AL, is all I have ever shot, mostly because it is all my dad, and uncle have shot.

I am not saying that they (carbon) are bad. Yes, they have their pros, but if you are only shooting 20-30 yards, why do you need them to go 300+ fps?

2. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Simply put for me is durability.

This year for the fun of it I went back to aluminum, (semi heavy aluminum). I've bent too many of them just target practicing. Some bent in the targets. Yeah, too much KE out of my 82nd. I won't shoot aluminum again.

3. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What is "semi heavy" to you?? I shoot 2213'S AT 70 LBS. The only time I bend arrows, are if I miss, or I happen to hit one arrow with another.
    I have never heard of them just bending. Maybe you need to spend some more time tuning? or change to something a little more heavy?

My dad shoots X7's from his Growler, and I assure you, he has never had an arrow bend. Most of his arrows have been through deer, and some have been in trees, after going through deer. and they are still "straight as an arrow" <--No pun intended.

4. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For me they are all that I have ever shot so I have never even thought of switching. But I have only been hunting for 3 years now. When I purchased my first bow and reading all the magazines that was all I ever noticed.

5. Dr Andy

Dr Andy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot aluminum at first and bent a lot of them. The carbons seem quite a bit more durable.

6. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    On my old bow I shot 2216's but had problems with them flying well so I went to 2219's which were logs. The carbons are a smaller diameter and are more durable than the Aluminum arrows from my experience. I bought two dozen arrows this summer and still have two dozen;) My bow is shooting 310fps with 89# KE so Aluminums would likely get tore up out of my new rig.

7. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I keep hearing that, but when I go out to the ranges, I seem to find quite a bit more carbon shafts laying around on the ground, and in the trash cans. Sure aluminum bends, but they can be straightened if they arent too bad. Carbon...breaks, rendering them useless. Is anyone shooting those aluminum carbon shafts? what are they, and how well do they work?

8. Mo_bowhnter

Mo_bowhnter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot carbon aluminum arrows, very tough, haven't broke any. Very consistent and accurate as well.

9. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Really, how much speed do you think you need to go 35 yards? I do get the fact that with carbon, you are depending on the speed, where as aluminum, you have the size.
    I guess if I were hunting different animals, I would for sure be using carbon. maybe if I wanted to go out, and hunt antelope, or safari in africa or something, but up here, I have no reason to shoot over 35 yards. If I did, I would have to take out too many trees for shooting lanes. :d
    The crap on the property is just too dang thick for anything farther.

10. Ya Get Em'?

Ya Get Em'? Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have always shot aluminum. I tried switching this year, but the carbon set up weighed real close to my aluminum set up, so I didn't see the point. I do feel carbon arrows stay flatter for longer distances, but not enough to make me change. I've always heard carbons penetrate more, but I don't think that matters hunting deer with a Rage broadhead on the end. I do know one thing, aluminum arrows have more flexional energy; vibrational energy (some of which is transformed into the sonic, or sound, energy); rotational energies; gravitational energy; and the heat (frictional) energy generated by its passage. Aluminum arrows are bigger objects made out of a metal. Aluminum and carbon set ups may have the same mass, but the aluminum arrow will always have more surface area.

11. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm Interested In hearing what Rob's exact set up Is also. I know damn well that If you go heavy enough there Isn't a bow out there that's going to keep bending Aluminum arrows. The thing Is how heavy and stiff do you want to go? I'm betting allot of guys are not going the Aluminum route being there loosing way to much speed because the Aluminum's are super heavy thus they shoot the carbons Instead being there more durable and lighter. I will say this though MNKK hat Rob Is top notch on his set ups. I've never ever seen someone who knows the Tech part of compound bows and arrow set ups like he does. I wish I had half of this guys knowledge.:hail:

12. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I first started bow hunting, I used AL because my dad did. At that time I was pretty clumsy and missed a lot, so I bent a bunch of arrows. Consequently, I switched to carbon. I don't really care about the speed at all. I like that I can use one pin out to 25 yards, but that's not why I shoot carbons.

13. Southernboy

Southernboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting carbon because they came w/ the bow package I got, but I have found that compared to my alum. from back in the day 2117 Game getters...they are way more durable, so I'll stick with them.

SB

14. Hogwire

Hogwire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shot aluminums for years before carbons were available. Never did like them, always thought there should be something better. Carbon arrows were that something better for me. I'm glad we have both to choose from. One thing I never liked about aluminums were the sound they made if you ever bumped one into something. I do like the AC/C amd Carbon Matrix arrows though, best of both worlds IMO, but they're a little heavier on average than 100% carbon . Not necessarily a drawback, if you're shootin a super fast bow a heavier arrow will make your bow shoot a little bit quieter IMO. lp

15. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I began w/aluminums. The carbons shoot flatter, & don't bend if you miss your mark. The also seem to penentrate better. At least with my targets. When I first switched, I shot both together. The carbons went in farther, & didn't have the arc as with the alum. arrows. Speed doesn't matter that much to me, but when you have to put that arrow in a small window, I'd put my money on the carbon. I've even have had aluminum shooters shot mine carbs w/their alum. & they are surprised @ 40 yds how much of a drop the alum. arrows are compared to carbs. JMHO.

16. MN/Kyle

MN/Kyle Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Because it's 2008:evil: :evil: :beer:

:d J/K steve.

17. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot carbons just because they shoot great out of my bow!Here is some info on the positives and negatives of both.Its really a personal preference.

Aluminum arrows have the highest precision-to-price ratio of any arrow construction. The nature of aluminum allows for extremely precise manufacturing specifications, especially concerning weight and spine, which are the two biggest determinants in arrow accuracy. Aluminum arrows also tend to fly better and tune easier when using fixed-blade broadheads, and because they are heavier and transfer the body's energy more efficiently at the shot, aluminum arrows are deadly quiet out of hunting bows.

Carbon arrows are generally lighter in weight, which means high velocity and flatter trajectory. This added speed helps overcome errors in range estimation. However carbon is not as precise as aluminum, which inherently means less accuracy. Carbon is also lighter weight, and reduces velocity more quickly, which means less penetration and kinetic energy downrange.

Aluminum/Carbon arrows provide the best of both worlds, delivering the strength and durability of a carbon arrow, and the spine consistency, weight tolerances, and accuracy of an aluminum arrow. Because of the enhanced and difficult manufacturing process, A/C arrows tend to be priced higher than all-aluminum or all-carbon counterparts. However, when considering the overall benefits and that the only downside is slightly higher price.

18. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    durability for me to. I used to shoot aluminums to but get more life out of the carbons. plus they look sweeet!:d