Are you allowed to show a brand without their permission?

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by stempel, Oct 18, 2017.

1. stempel

stempel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm putting together a hunting video using Premiere Pro and After Effects for some training at work. On all the professional hunting videos, they call out the brands they are sponsored by. I was wondering since I'm not sponsored by any brands, if there is an issue showing the brand logos of the equipment I use?

I'm ok with leaving them out, but just curious.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can do whatever you want with brands. They love free advertisement. I wouldn't state that you are sponsored by them or promote them specifically but some B-roll logos and such helps with your production value.

Now, music is a whole different boat, you don't want to use someone's music unless it's royalty free or you have paid for the right to use it.

stempel likes this.
  3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Probably if you produce a revenue from your video. Idk surely one of the guys on here will know

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

stempel likes this.
  4. stempel

stempel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Makes sense to me. I think I'm going to create my own music. I'm fortunate enough to have enough instruments to make a small band. With all the suing and such that goes on in the music industry, I'd rather not risk it. Though there are some brave souls whom post non rights music on Youtube, which is where I'd probably post my video. We'll see how it goes I guess. Worst case, I'll take it down.

5. stempel

stempel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That's a good point. I'd probably put it on Youtube, but I'm not expecting to make profit from it.

6. Albertoline

Albertoline Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You can show brand without their permission but be careful when associating them with something else! You have to clearly notify in your video or website..that there is no relationship between you and the brand, that you don’t represent the brand... for the music it’s the same things you can not associate a song with your project without the permission of the composer and producer, even if you buy a song from Musicscreen or from any other library you have to check their conditions of use, to see in witch contexts you are not allowed to use their music. Some artists don’t want to have their music on nudity, others don’t accept to have their music on satirical works.