Are yotes cannibals ? Will they eat there own does anyone know ???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BuckEyeJay, Oct 8, 2016.

1. BuckEyeJay

BuckEyeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So last night I had 3 nice yotes come in to an apple tree. The biggest was a strawberry blonde yote it was beautiful. I shot him at 17 yards threw the shoulder after i stopped him he did a back flip and ran off making noise. I waited awhile before starting to track him cause I had almost 2 hours of light left well when I did start tracking I couldn't find him right away I found him but the other 2 yotes were guarding his body letting out low growl type howls like a sad howl it sounded like if there was one. But it's a beautiful blonde yote I'd like to mount it's not a scrappy looking grey one will the other 2 eat him up or should I go look for him this morning are they cannibalistic creatures will they eat there own does any one know i know some animals won't eat there own kind and some will. Any advice would help.

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why didn't you retrieve it when you found it???? Because of the other two????
    I'd have shot them all if they refused to leave.

3. BuckEyeJay

BuckEyeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I found him around 820 pm and it was totally dark I had a small flashlight and 3 arrows only I threw a couple rocks and made a little noise but they wouldn't leave his body I don't know much about yotes so I backed out not knowing if they would be aggressive towards me. But I went back this morning and found him near what looked to be there den or hangout.

4. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't believe they will. My dad shot a couple once with the slug gun and blew them open pretty good. We drug the carcasses out to the middle of the field in an attempt to see if other yotes would chew on them... They never did. They just naturally decomposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. BlackHammer

BlackHammer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nope won't eat their own kind nor will a buzzard eat a buzzard. Let's see the yote

6. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you killed the female and the young didn't know what else to do but stand guard. I doubt they would have taken it too far but I guess you never know with a wild animal.

7. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    cool dead yotes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: