Are Tower Blinds Considered Less Challenging?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by pick00l, Jun 22, 2017.

1. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I believe yesterday I was watching a Matthews Solo show and noticed something that never crossed my mind.

The hunter was in a tower blind with four regular house style double hung windows. He was filming when a very mature buck on his hitlist showed up. As the deer was getting closer, he needed to open an alternate window and reposition the entire camera setup. Now... I know of no mature buck where a hunter could do anything like that and get away with it, unless you are in a full enclosure like he was. Hunter then made a solid shot and was rewarded.

Then it hit me...wow he took a deer which anyone would be proud of however, outside of being at the right place at the right time and making the killer shot...there was really no other challenges. Almost 100% of his movement, sound, and scent were masked.

I'm not judging anyone hunting out of a tower blind. Heck, maybe I will at some point. I'm not taking anything away from his kill. I am questioning however, how challenging the hunt actually was...which is a 100% personal thing to each of us.

I'm curious what others think. Do you feel that using a fully enclosed tower blind takes anything away from the challenge of archery hunting? Have any other opinions to share?

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I wouldn't consider it as cheating. Essentially you have to scout and ensure that the deer are moving within range of where the blind is located. Also you can somewhat get away with the same type of moment in a ground blind if it is positioned appropriately.

Deer are not dumb creatures but they are creatures of habit and necessity just like most of nature. If you provide a food source and that is the only stable food source to be found in the vicinity when it gets super cold they are coming to that food source. For a bowhunter the placement of that blind is just as critical as the placement of a tree stand if you want to be successful.

Also consider this if you put a tree stand on a tree with no foliage, branches or limbs you won't be able to move much. But put in in a tree with adequate cover you have more opportunity to move. Guess what I am saying its all about how much you put into it.

pick00l likes this.
  3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    pick00l likes this.
  4. mississippi hoyt shooter

mississippi hoyt shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    pick00l and JohnnyD like this.
  5. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The challenge is pretty much the same, up to the point of the deer walking in and having to get in position and make the shot. I've hunted out of a couple of them before I was able to scout my own locations. As long as not making noise, I had freedom of movement. I was able to come to draw on a deer looking in my direction because of having a solid dark background behind me. There can also be some limits also. You can only shoot where the openings allow where out of a tree, you have more flexibility in shot selection.

copperhead and pick00l like this.
  6. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    IMO it is not cheating. Others have explained how I feel on it.

pick00l likes this.
  7. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the responses. After the first set of responses, I removed the word "cheating" from the title. Did not want this to be controversial. Appreciate the input and opinions shared.

8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well Less Challenging yes. They are way more comfortable, concealing, and scent suppressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

pick00l and Swamp Stalker like this.
  9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Almost everything we do these days is with the sole purpose of making our hunts less challenging. Whether it's the gear we wear, the equipment we shoot or the stands/blinds we hunt from. The more of an advantage we can give ourselves the less challenging it becomes. Each person gets to determine their own level of challenge that they wish to undertake in any given season. To those who chose to make it as easy as possible, good for them.

copperhead and boonerville like this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What was the buck on the hit list named?

11. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think he named him "Hightower"

12. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its probably a little easier to stay concealed in a tower stand and easier to control your scent. I don't consider it cheating though. I would hunt out of one.

13. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Or Mayweather.

14. Hunter Bob

Hunter Bob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am not a grizzled veteran like some of you, but I would have to imagine that it takes some of the connection to the natural elements out of hunting. I love being right up in a tree or using natural bushes to hide me. For me, hunting is even more about connecting with the outdoors than bringing home an animal. This said, when I am in my sixties (which is away off) I might be thinking that a tower blind is a great idea...

tc racing and pick00l like this.
  15. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agree very much related to personal challenge and enjoyment. Do what makes you enjoy the sport and proud to take game if given the chance.

16. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have passed many tower blinds while driving and think...that would be awesome. Usually I think about them in relation to rifle hunting in PA.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have thought of building a deluxe model but I don't spend enough time hunting to justify it.

copperhead likes this.
  18. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    from what I have seen many hightower fixed blinds are set up near a feeder or corn or sometype of feed -- I once saw a tv show of a new York business man taking his 12 year old son on his first ever hunt--they got son up-fed him-dressed him-drove him to hightower blind- sun came up buck walked over to corn pile kid shot hunt over dad was so proud I was so sick kid does not even know what a deer turd looks like

tc racing and Shocker99 like this.
  19. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Remember it is on TV. Mostly marketing and half BS.

20. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Benefits to them for sure. Concealment is nice. Windows allow to stay warmer on cold days. My dad had one built probably 15 years ago. He always talks about how he wished he knew how many deer were taken from there. It is quite a few between bow and gun.

The one he had built has some blind spots while hunting in it. We usually sit in the corners to conceal ourselves. Deer can get right on top of you quickly. Probably the only drawback. You still need to be quiet. Movement is the nicest thing about it in terms of comparing to being in a tree. I like hunting in both. Being in a tree feels so much more exposed.

pick00l likes this.