Are faster bows wounding more deer?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by frenchbritt123, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This as been a good read and I have learned a bit from everybody. I have bow hunted since the 70"s and started with a re-curve and fell in love with bow hunting. I live out west and grew up hunting elk and mule deer. (I have shot a couple antelope and coyotes.)
    Im not a trophy hunter but have been lucky to shoot a few nice animals. I agree with those that posted "know your bow and your limitations". I have only killed one animal at 50 yards most my animals have been at 30 yards to six feet. With that said my enjoyment is seeing how close I can get to the animal.
    To be honest I don't think faster bows are wounding more animals. People are wounding more animals. (Except for yotes and lions :D)

2. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't have stated it better myself! It is interesting to read what everyone's "preference" is for bowhunting. Personally, I love pass-thru's, 'cause 2 holes are better than one (no pun intended) for bloodtrails.

With squishy whitetails that has not been a problem using cut-on-contact BHs for me. This year I am trying the NAP Killzones (mechanicals) so we will see if I am still getting pass-thru's on them.

3. stillmanchad

stillmanchad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The speed debate can go on forever. Well placed shots kill things. A well placed shot with a bow shooting 330fps or a well placed shot from a spud gun across the room will both kill their respective targets. Practice Practice and Practice some more. Challenge yourselves while practicing as well. Don't just go fling 5 arrows and without thinking it through. Sorry got off topic. To answer the question... no fast bows aren't wounding more deer. It's the operator behind the weapon that is 100% responsible for the outcome! Make it count!

4. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You bet they are! Though It's not the bows fault but rather the so called "pro techs" at these archery shops telling every bow hunter In there that bows are much faster now so you can take longer shots. Then you add to the fact the crap you see on TV of these Idiots taking long bomb shots at deer, elk, you name It. These people at the these pro shops and hunters on TV are gods to people so obviously their going to try and emulate them. In all honesty I hate what bowhunting has become.

5. MNp&y

MNp&y Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMO I agree with most of what everyone else is saying. Placement is KEY!!! I shot 2 deer with the same broadhead this last year without a problem. Both of which were heart shots. As far as speed goes I feel a lot more confident with my 300 + fps Mathews than I did with my 185 fps old bow. With my old bow I wouldn't have even thought about taking a shot over 20 yards, but with my z7 magnum 40 yards on a calm deer is a dead deer!

6. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For me, bowhunting is about how close, not how far I can shoot an animal. I killed tons of game with a gun growing up in the west at some very long distances. Bowhunting challenges me to get close and if I can't, I don't take the shot. For me, target shooting at long distances is great. Shooting game at long distances would be irresponsible because no matter how good I am, wild game can decide to take one step at any time and my perfect release turns into a gut shot. My $.02 worth.

Good read by the way, I'm glad nobody got hissed off and left crying. :D

7. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It happens. I act like an idiot sometimes and sometimes say the wrong things. By all means I deserve it.

8. PA-Legion

PA-Legion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great article. really got me rethinking my setup for this season haha