Archery tackle for moose or bear?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by jeffacarp, Apr 10, 2012.

1. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm mainly concerned with the broadheads for these particular species. It'll be a guided hunt in New Hampshire for moose (if I draw) or black bear if I don't draw my moose lotto tag. I shoot Easton FMJ's weighing 532 grains 262 fps out of my z7x (30" at 70 lbs). I currently shoot NAP spitfire 100 gr broadheads. Would these be appropriate for black bear and moose? Or should I start tuning some fixed blade heads this summer? Any info would be appreciated from those of you that have experience hunting these species! Thanks

2. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never seen a moose shot other than on TV. But seen a decent amount of bear shot and I prefer a cut on contact fixed head over mechanical heads. Fall bears have a lot of fat and that can plug a single hole rather easily. Also their hide/fur can hold a lot of blood before it starts dripping. I prefer the fixed heads as they give me the best chance for a pass through shot and two holes and better blood trails if they don't drop near by the stand. You will get a lot of answers and most of them wont be wrong. This is just what I like and seen the best results from.

3. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I outfitted bears for 9 years and I agree with Ruff 100% for the same reasons.

As big as a moose is, fixed is the way to go. You will most likely only get one hole and you want to be sure its open. Plus, a fixed head will penetrate deeper.

4. Keef

Keef Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with everything that's been said. You can probably make a mechanical work but why risk it. I'm sure many animals have been killed with mechanicals but I prefer the cut on contact.

I shoot 52 lbs and have taken deer, bear, moose and elk with it using either Thunderheads or RazorTrick broadheads. The only brown bear I shot was with 62lbs and Thunderheads.

It's an old argument - mechanical vs fixed blades - neither side will ever win. You should know that some states don't allow mechanicals and that's the main reason I haven't used them. I travel a lot and don't want to worry about getting in trouble with the law. I saw on the internet, so it must be true:D, that some of the Drury prostaffers go busted in Idaho for using Rages. Can't vouch for that, but I do know Idaho doesn't permit mechanicals.

Let us know how you do, it should be a great experience whether it's moose or bears. I've been fortunate to have taken all the species of moose and it was a great experience. I've taken blacks and grizzly (coastal brown bear) and it was truly a hoot. But those are other stories we'll get into some day.

Attached Files:

5. ecorrigan

ecorrigan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree Keef. The argument of mechanical vs fixed-blade is about like the 9mm vs .45 ACP argument that still wages on in countless places every day! Or the wheelgun vs automatic subject! I've had success with mechanical, but in taking larger animals like a moose or a bear, I think I'd prefer a fixed-blade option that will pass through a little easier and cut more. I personally, am leaning toward the Carbon Express F-15 fixed-blade broadhead for spring bear, elk in the fall and hopefully moose in the fall of 2013!
    Everyone will have their own opinions on what should and shouldn't be used, but the bottom line is to use something that will perform! Do your research jeffacarp. Make sure you read up on them. Check out youtube as well. Type in the name of the broadhead you're looking at using and most of the time, you'll find a video of their performance. Contact the manufacturers too and maybe they'll have some videos you can view to determine which arrow is best for the animals your looking at taking!!