Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Archery Sight Opinions

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by Life by the Horns, May 10, 2024.

1. Life by the Horns

Life by the Horns Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the process if building a new setup for this coming season. For the past 12 years I have used the Spot Hogg 7 pin fixed. (Western game hunter) I like the quick ability to shoot out to farther distances for follow up shots, etc, but have realized the need for more precision if I have the time pre-shot to dial a slider. I have narrowed down my choices to either a Montana Black Gold or an Option Archery sight. I really like the black Gold pin brightness, but also really like the ability to open the housing on an Option sight and declutter the sight picture.

I have not recently handled an Option sight and am wondering how bright their pins are in comparison to a black Gold? Any thoughts?

2. Skinney

Skinney Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello, also being a western hunter I recent switched this year from fixed pins to a dialed arxos and have zero regrets. The vertical pins give me a much clearer sight picture. I went with the three pin model which works great for me having the ability to dial any yardage as well as having the other two as a back up Incase of a quick follow up or say an elk that hangs up last minute at 37yds. It has really improved my shooting making the switch, although I will say it is a pretty expensive sight but well worth it in my opinion.

3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have an Option 8 oval sight. I got it in .019" pins and pin brightness is a none issue. In other words, the pins are visible to me before I can see enough definition on an animal in the timber to feel comfortable enough to shoot. I also have an HHA, older MBG, and a Cobra, all are about the same for pin brightness.
    Pin brightness these days is more of a pin size decision IMO.
    For example, my hunting partner and I were comparing pins early one morning while elk hunting. He has a Spot Hog Fast Eddie double pin, at the time he had .010" pins. He noticed that my pins were already glowing but his weren't. It was probably another 6 or 7 minutes before his pins started to glow. It bugged him and he bought a scope for it with .019" pins for the next year. Both our pins start glowing at about the same time now, pin size made all the difference.

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been shooting vertical pins for a decade now. I will never go back to horizontal pins.
    Currently shooting SpottHogg Fast Eddie 2 dot, an old Trophy Ridge V3 and an old Trophy Ridge V5, and I just picked up an Apex Aegis Pro cross hair/2 dot (pin less.) Not sure which bow I am going to throw that on yet. That's a this weekend project.

1000007563.jpg