Archery elk hunting in Colorado

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by JakeD, Jun 22, 2012.

1. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm planning a DIY hunt in Colorado for September 2013. I was just wondering if anybody had any sort of advice or information on where to go or what I need to do to prepare? I'm not trying to steal anybody's hunting spot, I'm just looking to find some information to get me started. I would like any sort of advice I can get, including gear and workout routines to prepare for the hunt. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The White river national forest use to have a lot of elk. I haven't been there for 10 years. I would get into hiking shape as best as you can. I hope this helps a little bit

3. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted in the Steamboat Springs area a few years ago, saw a good amount of elk but very high pressure area, Buffalo Pass area to be exact. I ran leading up to the trip but there is nothing a midwesterner can do to get in shape for 10,000 plus feet in elevation in my opinion. The first two days are brutal, after that you're set. I feel you have to commit to two hunts in the same area to be successful, you gain so much knowledge the first trip about the area and where the elk want to be. I found many areas to be void of elk, once you narrow down those areas and start to understand with topo maps why they're void, you start to put the puzzle together. I didn't get an elk but had chances and learned a ton and feel if I went back my chance of success would be greatly increased. Chasing big game in the mountains is a blast!

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be doing the same. I'm really looking forward to it.

I've been reading a lot of these...

http://wildlife.state.co.us/HUNTING/ELKHUNTINGUNIVERSITY/Pages/ElkUniversity2011.aspx

I'm going to be in the Pagosa Springs area I believe.

5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  6. Jeepsta

Jeepsta Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I work around Pagosa Springs, there normally is a good supply of elk up there. There is a big fire up there right now, and its really dry. If you can find a couple of good water sources on google earth and compare them with BLM maps you should have pretty good luck. For some reason the elk love water! I know of a spot on some farm land right by a river where a nice 380 bull was killed last year. The other thing I would suggest would be some good mouth calls. That's my 2 cents.

7. CObowhunter

CObowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We have been getting our late afternoon and evening shower's, but it is still dry out here. There is quite a bit of competition here since you can still get an elk tag over the counter, but hunt hard, be patient, and don't expect the next world record to come strolling by it won't happen here, but there are alot of good meat bull's and cow's to be had.

8. KS_archer

KS_archer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +2 for CObowhunter. Hot and Dry. I'm headed out to north central Colorado with an OTC archery elk and OTC archery bear tag. Now that I bought the tag it almost guarantees I won't see a bear! I have 2 cameras out and wont check for another month or so. Good luck to all.

9. CObowhunter

CObowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    KS_archer,
    You need to come to my part of the state, we have more bear's than you can shake a stick at. My game camera has been up on a seep for over a month now and it seem's like every 3rd picture is a bear. We had one trapped by DOW 3 week's ago and he was only 1/2 mile from downtown.

10. Bowarado

Bowarado Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Finally started raining down here in Rifle,Co!!! We needed it bad. Been raining everynight now so hopefully it will help out..

11. Trapper50cal

Trapper50cal Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Colorado DOW website is an invaluable tool for info on Colorado Big Game.

Super hot summer equals hi-country to start with...9,000 ft and above for most concentrations.

Water and Wallows will be key. I'm biased (living in Pagosa Springs) but SW Colorado reigns supreme.

12. Chassit

Chassit Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Due to some possible problems with my planned elk hunt on the Western Slope I went and did some scouting this week up Poudre Canyon (just North of Rocky Mountain National Park). I saw PILES of wildlife including several mulies. The giant bull moose was the winner though.