Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Arboretum control archery deer hunt area picked

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Dan VanHoose, Oct 1, 2024 at 3:51 PM.

1. Dan VanHoose

Dan VanHoose Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was drawn for a spot at our Dawes Arboretum for the month of December.its a take any deer to reduce numbers.anyway a topo map from 2008 is sent with arboretum regulations stating that the area that is single hunter will be utilized by other hunters in order to kill as many deer as possible.im thinking the drive there will not be worth it.can scout the area week after thanksgiving.im figuring the pounding public areas here will offer about as much of a chance of getting any meat.

2. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Years back I was at Dawes, nice place... I was brought in to help with the shooting proficiency tests the hunters had to go thru prior to being able to hunt ... (I still say some shouldnt go near the woods let alone shoot a bow).... yup, there will be areas hunted prior to you being there .... I still have their coffee cup .... this isnt much different than our state park hunts in Indiana, they pack guys in as much as possible to have a high kill and still have a safe hunt .. its not a trophy hunt ... you are there to help thin the deer out and preserve the vegetation and habitat ... you should still go and check it out, late season may surprise you there ....

3. Dan VanHoose

Dan VanHoose Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was picked years ago when the shooting test was done at the fish farm.my first year there I had to find a ranger to find my spot.then got chased out by a pack of dumped dogs that followed me .i left and haven’t applied in a while.i questioned my area picked this year is a 2008 topo map with parking spots shown.well it’s a real good spot to steer clear from .

4. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    good luck if you go ...........