AR-15

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Robinson, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Robinson

Robinson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking into buying an AR and was wanted to hear some opinions on the best Reasonably priced AR. :usa:

(I understand this is a bowhunting forum, if this isn't allowed let me know.)

thanks!

2. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There are so many options out there it is really tough to answer your question. What is intended purpose? What options would you like such as free float hand guard, etc. The better question is what budget do you have then you can work backwards to get the best fit for your needs/budget. You can literally go on and on and on from triggers to flash hiders the options are really endless. I personally have four with 3 of them in different calibers and the last two I built myself. I mainly target shoot and some hunting with them so I have spent a little more than average for a bit more accuracy such as putting in good triggers and glass.

3. Robinson

Robinson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I will probably use it the most for target shooting possibly some hunting as well. For caliber I'm thinking 5.56 mm so I can also shoot .223 through it. I'm hoping to keep the budget right around 800 and hopefully not more than 900 up front. I'm in the process of learning about all the options etc. as I have just started looking so any advice helps!

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Look into DPMS or Ruger.

5. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Smith & Wesson m&p 2. AR's are the grown man's Barbie.

6. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have had several and wound up with my current one which is my favorite thus far... Ruger SR556.

I have had S&W, Bushmaster, & Stag and like this one much more.

7. Time2Panic

Time2Panic Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Keeping it at or below the $800 price range this is what I like (full disclosure: I work part-time at the gun counter of a big box dealer):

1) Smith & Wesson M&P Sport II Approx $700
    Smith & Wesson fixed the biggest thing I didn't like about the original M&P Sport... the lack of a dust cover for the ejection port. They also upgraded the trigger to a two-stage trigger. Comes ready to shoot right out of box thanks to the inclusion of the MAGPUL backup sight (save's you approx $55). The barrel twist rate is 1:9 allowing you to shoot 45-75 grain bullets.

2) Armalite Eagle 15 Approx $620
    Nothing bad to say about this rifle. The build quality is good and it comes with a 1:7 twist rate that allows shoot 55-85 grain bullets. This one will need a backup rear sight.

3) DPMS Oracle Approx $600
    This is a good entry level rifle. The only caveat for this rifle is it requires backup sights or some sort if optic be installed before it can be used... read this as another $80-300 depending on what sights/optic you choose to go with.

4) Bushmaster QRC w/ Red Dot Optic Approx $700
    This is the least favorite of the four as I'm not a fanboy of the new Bushmaster, but it is well within your price range. The rifle ranks 5/10 IMO and but would be OK if that is all you can afford (quite honestly if it was my money I'd buy the M&P Sport II). With a 1:8 twist rate barrel you should be OK shooting 50-80 bullets.

If you don't know how or what the twist rate of a barrel is do a quick google search for full details, but in a nutshell the twist rate is how long it takes for the rifling to make one full rotation in the barrel. 1:7 = 7 inches to make one full rotation. A tighter twist rate creates a more stable flight for heavier bullets, but the trade off is lighter bullets do not have as stable of a flight path. MILSPEC is currently 1:7, but that does not necessarily mean that is the best for you. Please do some research regarding which might be best for you.

I hope I have helped more than I have muddied the waters.

T2P

8. Robinson

Robinson Newb

Dislikes Received:

Helps a lot! Thanks for explaining the twist ratio!

9. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am a Rock River fan myself.

10. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Daniel defense is a good one if you aren't going to build.

11. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a smith man so I like my smith and Wesson sport AR.

12. Jrob140

Jrob140 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a bushmaster that have never once given me any problems.

P.S my last name is Robinson and I shoot a Bear as well. Nice to meet you brotha

13. cjoh101

cjoh101 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Palmetto State Armory makes some really nice AR's. I have one in a 6.8 spc, and it is very accurate. You can buy the upper and lower assemblies separate and usually spend less than 600. The stainless barrels in their freedom lineup are made by FN.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

14. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a Stag Arms 3L .223 and love it. I really wanted to build my first AR but the Gun Ban stuff a few years ago changed my mind.

15. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My setups all cost more than what your budget would allow so I think Time2Panic gave you some great advice with some good choices. I do prefer a flattop for optics and a freefloated barrel. I have put good triggers in all of mine and have tried to do some research concerning getting the best barrels for the money. The uppers and lowers seem to all be made by very few manufacturers and just stamped to someones specs. I would stay away from the poly type upper and lower assemblies. The 5.56 chambering is the way to go IMO since it gives you a bit greater flexibility. It is an addiction so good luck with your choices.

16. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For getting your feet wet, you can't go wrong with the M&P Sport 2. The store in my town has them for $620. You can upgrade the handguard, grip and butt stock, and maybe add a vertical front grip if you want, all for less than $100 with Magpul accessories. But you don't have to.

If you get bit by the bug, the real fun is building your own for your second one.

17. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is my new toy. I hope to to get a suppressor soon to start shooting 3 gun.

IMG_1481.jpg
    Colt Competition Gen II $900

18. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the armalite lowers poly?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

19. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sure they're aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Huntnfishdaily

Huntnfishdaily Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just finished building my own, I recommend it to anyone just getting into it, before I had no knowledge of the AR platform but as I read up and watched videos it was an easy project to accomplish and I fully understand what every piece of my firearm does and is used for now. It is also very affordable you can build one as cheap as a few hundred dollars or as expensive as you want.