Apple, Bacon, Venison Steak

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by AUbowhunter, Jul 26, 2013.

1. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good advice, thanks.

2. Praetorian27

Praetorian27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I tried this recipe tonight and was very pleased! I used venison steaks...not backstraps, and used cider. I marinated the steaks for two days in the fridge, and didn't put the bbq sauce on until they were already on the grill. Next time, I'll use lower heat as there were some charring spots from the bacon fat and bbq sauce causing flare ups. It was very good though!

3. Viper21

Viper21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have some backstraps marinating in cider right now. Plan on wrapping them with thick peppered bacon, & hittin the grill with em in a couple hours. Been wanting to try this recipe since I first seen it. The straps are from yesterdays doe.

4. Viper21

Viper21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow.... outta the park. Those Apple Bacon Straps were amazing..!!

5. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    how long did you marinade?
    T

6. Viper21

Viper21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had em in cider for about 4hrs, then rubbed em, & let em sit for 1hr before they hit the grill.

7. Viper21

Viper21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  8. fathernaure

fathernaure Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! How much time were they on the grill?

9. Viper21

Viper21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I cooked em just like any other steak. I put em on each side on high for a couple minutes, then turn the heat down to finish em off. I like my steaks medium.

10. Viper21

Viper21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Made some Apple Bacon Backstraps again last night.........man.... delicous. What made this time even better, made believers out of some non-believers...haha. My mother & her husband have always been the "I don't like venison" types. All the normal reasons, excuses ie: too gamey, i just don't like it, the poor deer...yada yada

Well, I had talked to em earlier in the week, & planned dinner last night. Said, I'd bring the steaks. I could see it on her face when she asked if I was talking venison. She said.....okay but there was definitely some reluctance in her voice...lol. Well, I cut up some straps & put em in cider about noon yesterday. Took em out about 6pm & rubbed em up & wrapped the bacon. Put em in a pan & took em over. About 7pm they were on the grill & cooked to a near perfection. Seared on high & slow cooked...wow. A perfect medium done steak. Grandma has made mashed potatoes, beans, deviled eggs, & had an awesome pecan pie for dessert :)

Well, I knew from the first bite.... you could see it in their faces.. they were blown away. Couldn't believe they were eating vension steaks & they were this freaking good. They both commented as such. After dinner, she suggests my boys come hunt her property..!! lol. This has NEVER happened. Her only request was that they get some of the meat, & I show here how to make steaks like the ones we had for dinner last night..!! Awesome. Just awesome. She's got a decent deer population on her place & next saturday my youngest will be going for his first kill :)

funny how the taste buds can change ones perspective..... hahahahaha

Attached Files: