Apparently kids aren't supposed to be left handed.

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by grizzly1530, Aug 20, 2014.

1. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My son is 7 years old, and has one of those little cheap Bear bows. I want to get him a nice adjustable youth bow for Christmas, but he's left handed. Almost all of the youth bows out there are made right handed only. I'm at a loss at what I should do. Do I buy him one of those, have him shoot right handed? Or should I spend 350+ to get him a bow that I can get in a left hand model? I'm torn because I know how fast kids can change, and if I get him a 350+ dollar model of bow, I don't want it sitting and collecting dust in a year. I think its absolutely ridiculous that bow companies don't make left handed youth bows!

2. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really don't know anything about any left handed youth bows but before I spent much $$$ on one , I'd find out which eye dominate he is . If he turns out to be right eye dominate , you'd be wasting your time looking for a left hand bow ... just my 2 cents .

3. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    At 7 years old what type of a bow are you looking to get for him? My daughter started shooting a Diamond Razor Edge when she was 6 and it was a great bow for her and still is! The new version is the Infinity Edge and it would be an excellent bow for a 7 year old. What were you looking to spend?

4. grizzly1530

Dislikes Received:
    I was looking at the diamond atomic. I like the infinite edge a lot but the atomic is 150 cheaper, and I was looking to save in case he isn't interested in it... I guess I probably wouldn't take a huge hit if I had to sell it, since it is a nice bow.

5. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Order it online. Im left handed and ordered my bow online for this very reason. Every bow shop I went to would have like 1 or 2 left handed bows only. I can understand having reservations about ordering a bow online. I certainly did, but ended up working out in the end.

6. grizzly1530

Dislikes Received:
    Right, I agree with you there. The thing is, the youth bows in the 200 dollar range, like the diamond atomic that I looked at first, are only made in right hand. I'm now leaning towards the infinite edge, since that is the cheapest quality bow made in left hand.... He is left eye dominant.

7. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree to make double sure he is left eye dominant. I shoot left hand, gun and bow. I throw right handed. I write right handed. I eat left handed. Messed up I know. I started shooting a bow left handed and dad switched me way back when to right handed because that is the hand I wrote with. It wasn't until later into my early teen years did I switch back to left and it is way better. I am left eye dominant.

If left eye dominant, you'll have to likely order the bow. Being left handed sucks sometimes as you are limited with what is available.

8. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  9. grizzly1530

Dislikes Received:
    This is exactly what I'm looking for. However, where do you see that you can get left handed? There are almost no specs on it, even on the hoyt site, ie: let off, handedness, whether you need a bow press to adjust....

10. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    mission craze. nuff said

11. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Why not try getting him started on a recurve until he shows enough interest to drop the money on an expensive compound?

That's where I started.

12. big_quillie

big_quillie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    PSE Rally. Check ebay. I'm a fellow lefty myself.

13. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Which is his dominant eye?

14. patmcm129

patmcm129 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sucks being a lefty...i speak from experience. my grandfather used to call me Wrong handed.

15. grizzly1530

Dislikes Received:
    His left eye is dominant. He's using one of the bear kids bow kits right now. I think we're going with the Hoyt ruckus. My local place has it around 250.00

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014