Apollo 13 - Team 13

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by dmen, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We backed out, grabbed my uncle and some lunch. We gave it about 4 1/2 hours and started tracking. We had good blood for a while but then it got less and less and then there was none. We kept walking and eventually jumped him. We stopped, my uncle decided to go hunt that evening and my buddy went back to spend time with his wife. We had zero blood after we jumped that buck. I stayed and made a grid in my mind and walked every inch I thought the buck could have gone. Nothing! I texted my neighbor and told him about my situation. I started to head back to the house because I had to get ready for church. The local church of Christ asked me to lead the Wednesday night Bible study. But I heard the sound of a four wheeler near the property line. I texted the neighbor, asked if it was him and he said yes. At this stage it is getting close to being dark. I started walking to the sound of the four wheeler and as I was getting closer to the sound I saw something big and dark resting against a tree. It was my buck!!!!!!

2. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guys, it was a miracle shot and a miracle recovery. That's all I got to say. I would never recommend taking the shot I did. I hit way back and shot through brush basically. I would cringe if I saw anyone else take that shot. It was stupid and desperate but Wednesday morning at 9:15 a.m. it worked for me. With that being said, I think I am the happiest and most blessed man on the face of the earth!

3. whitetailjunky3

whitetailjunky3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  4. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks whitetail, he's the biggest buck that I've shot. Couldn't have asked for a better trip! Anyone have any close encounters over the weekend?

5. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I saw 3 bucks on the farm yesterday. I passed both a small 6 and 8 point. One buck was a shooter (8) but he never came closer than 100 yards or so.

This is a picture of the one big bodied but small racked 8 right by my stand. Kind of sucks but I was trying to not get busted taking the picture.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  6. whitetailjunky3

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going out today after church to a woods I've never hunted so hopefully I have some luck!

7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    OH was a bust this weekend. Only saw a couple does all day yesterday, never in range.

My unit in PA closed last Saturday. I did find a small property in a unit that is open until the 28th I am going to try to hunt some this week but the weather is a bummer yet again.

8. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It is in the 60s today which is ridiculous for up here this time of the year. I haven't been out in over a week so had some time I figured what the hell. The wind is blowing in right direction. Nothing to lose. We haven't had cold temps in some time now. Before Halloween if I remember right. Looks like al gore isn't full of it after all.

Here's to a Florida like hunt lol.

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it is really warm here this week again too. It was cold Saturday morning and that is when I saw the 3 bucks but it warmed up and has been warm. Looks the temps drop (around here) a little Friday and Saturday. I may have found a piece of property to hunt in PA in a special regs unit so I can keep hunting here and not make the 3 hr trip to OH. It is still 1.5 hrs away but better than 3 lol.

10. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck Joe bear

I have been Missouri rifle hunting this last week. Mature bucks were in lockdown until yesterday afternoon. I would have liked to shot this buck with my bow, have hunted him for three years. Last year I had him at 70 yards, it just wasn't meant to be. Yesterday @ 4 pm, he had a weak moment and it cost him..)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Funny thing is, he was only 20 yards when I shot him..

[​IMG]

11. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is an awesome buck. Congrats

12. Polecatmasten

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks
    He was typical last year. His right foot has been injured, his left side grew all crazy this year. I have one trail cam pic, it's hard to tell from pic.. I thought he was broke off.

[​IMG]

13. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck, too bad it was with a rifle and not a bow. I know I know, I am a bow snob :) . Seriously man, great buck congrats.

14. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's a great buck man! You've had a 'decent' hunting season I'd say lol. There is a Kansas buck that I am trying to decide if I want to try and gun hunt this year. I never really gun hunt but he is a deer like that and I would rather shoot him with a gun than have some one else take him. Of course he might make it another year and be a giant. Not sure what to do on that....

15. Polecatmasten

Dislikes Received:
    Just got my score for bow kill
    171 5/8
    I edited the entry.. Do I need to do anything else???
    Besides kill a doe

[​IMG]

16. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow that's awesome. I'll be honest and admit, I knew it was a great buck back when you posted it, but I would have never put it in the 170's. Congrats again man!

17. whitetailjunky3

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck I'll be back at it again this weekend it's youth gun here in Ohio this weekend so hopefully they push the deer around a little

18. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As long as you edited it on the official score page then you're good. Get a doe and you'll be up over 200 points, that's awesome!!! The taxidermist is going to score my second buck and get back with me. I think he would gross over 130 but I'm not sure what he will net with deductions. I hope he makes p&y. He would be my first.

19. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    170's is a hog. I wish i could have contributed some points, the rest of you guys are really knocking them down.

20. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't given up. PA has been horrible for me this year, but OH has been good. Just haven't had the right buck in range yet.