Anyone with a Ram 2500 either Cummins or Hemi

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by WillO, Feb 19, 2019.

1. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone have one?

In looking at either the Cummins or the Hemi.

I don’t tow or haul so I know the diesel is pointless but I’m still considering it just because iv always had diesel trucks until the Hemi 1500 I have now.

I have a 2016 1500 currently and want to trade up in the next month or two.

Anyone wanna share their “real life” MPG or any opinions?

2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have one of each as work trucks, both 2500's one cummins and one hemi. Honestly if you're not pulling alot I'd go with gas. You're intitial cost is gonna be less and maintenance will be less. Neither is brand new, diesel is a 13 and hemi is 13 or 14 I believe. Only real difference in fuel milage is the cummins gets around 13 or 14 no matter if you have a trailer or not and the hemi goes from around 16 to 12 with trailer. I would think that may be better if go newer. But unless you're pulling a heavy load you don't know there's a trailer back there with the hemi.

One thing to consider unless you're really needing to be in the market right now is I'm sure dodge will be coming out with a bigger gas before long that will probably pull alot better if that's a concern. Only reason say that is I know ford and chevy are coming with big v8's so imagine dodge will too. We have this discussion every time look for new work truck and honestly only reason always go with diesel is because we pull pretty heavy alot. Idk what the average usually is but i can tell you we got pulled over once and weighed in at 31000 (skid loader, mini excavator, and 2 ton of rebar which is pretty normal sometimes) the cop wasn't very happy but we got out with not too many fines ha. But dont think you'd be disappointed with either so I'd say whatever you can get best deal on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WillO likes this.
  3. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the feedback it’s much appreciated.

My commute when I go to the office is 100 mile round trip (90% highway) usually 4 days a week so I’ll be using it a lot. My current truck has 6 inch lift and 35s and gets between 16.5-17.5 mpg. I put 25K a year on it the past 3 years.

I’m thinking with the new 2020 model 2500 coming it may be worth waiting until that comes out to get a better deal on the current shape 2500?

I’m swaying towards the gas one more

4. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Yea its always tough deciding what to buy. We have a pretty hard time because we look for crew cab long beds. That's like a needle in a hay stack sometimes.

At one time I had a 05 1500 with a hemi that really liked and from sound of it was set up bout like you got. Was a really nice truck and I always struggle when getting something new too. Really dont need a diesel for personal vehicle but when you're looking and if money is the same or close I always feel like you'd be kinda getting more truck for the money goin with a diesel. Other thing is they seem to hold value better, or at least did, than gas. I can only go off the work trucks we have really but we run them well over 200k miles and still seem to get good trade in. Idk if can do the same with gas. Either way good luck man, it can be stressful but its always kinda fun looking for new vehicles.

5. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, I really like the truck I have now but I want to trade for the 2500, no real reason just want something different.

There’s about $1000 difference in the diesel and gas right now at my local dealership and now you mention the resale of a diesel vs the gas that’s put them neck and neck lol

jrk_indle84 and dnoodles like this.
  6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    FWIW, over the summer I got a driveway estimate from a concrete guy that showed up in his 2017 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. We ended up talking a lot more about his truck than concrete.

He had 60k miles on it and said he was about to trade it in on a new one- and he had 2 others in his fleet also. Said he got rid of all his Cummins 2500s in favor of the Ecos. I don't know the actual specs but he said the Ecos were more than enough to handle his 15000# trailer loads.

My buddy has a 2012 2500 Cummins and the thing is a beast. Running 35" MTZs and he's getting appx. 15mpg. We haul an easy 10,000# load when we go up to WI to do our food plots and you'd never know it was there. Assloads of torque.

7. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    while even gas trucks are holding their value very well now that gas has dropped into the low $2 range; I can tell you that my 2008 Ram 1500 Hemi wasn't worth a barrel of monkey piss when 93 octane was pushing $5 a gallon. I had put maybe $5 grand in upgrades into that thing and I ended up having to drive it 3 hours into rural Indiana (where gas was almost $1 cheaper) for any dealer to give me anything on trade close to what I felt (and KBB/Edmonds) said it was actually worth.

Diesels always hold their value better.

WillO likes this.
  8. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If he’s towing 15000lbs with those little fiat engines I doubt they’ll last long, the eco diesel 1500 is rated for 9200lbs lol

dnoodles likes this.
  9. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    lol, maybe that's why he's trading it in at 60k miles!
    and yikes; my '15 F-150 3.5 Eco is rated at over 11k lbs. And will get over 20mpg running 75mph.

WillO likes this.
  10. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you considered the 1975 AMC Pacer? Throw a hitch on that bad boy and I think you might just be surprised at what a little work-horse it can be.

11. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sure the Pacer X would have tow package option. 10399653_f520.jpg

fletch920 likes this.
  12. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Don't know if you've made a decision yet but just a bit of info. Work traded in our '13 2500 last week for a '18 3500 cummins. It's just the base model but was cruising around today and with empty trailer we got around 13 and on way home with skid loader on it only dropped down to about 12. Would think would be little better if truck was 2500 but idk.

WillO likes this.
  13. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wife has a 2007 Ram 5.7L gas (yes, it's hers), gets 17 on the interstate and 14 in town. I have seen the difference between gas and diesel as much as 90 cents a gallon! Personally, I don't think diesel is worth the extra cost of fuel and maintenance. Good luck as yo have a lot of info to consider.

14. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, i'm still determined to get the diesel, I know it costs more to run and maintain but that’s not a concern. The more I look into it and think about it the diesel is a certainty now.