Anyone went for Rays in the Chesapeake?

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by TEmbry, Mar 24, 2009.

1. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am thinking hard on doing a 3-4 day trip over at Chincoteague for cownose rays and maybe the occasional 50+ lb southern ray.

Also trying to fill in some details on a Texas Gator Gar trip as well. I'm to broke to pay someone else, so we would definitely be hauling my rig and doing it on our own.

Any of you guys fished either of these? I think I remember someone from IL making the trip to the east coast rays, Christine?

The big fish are callin to me hard right now, I think Spring Break 2010 has TEXAS written all over it.

2. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    T, we were going to go last year but gas prices were so high that we stayed home and I bought a toy tractor instead. Some of our friends (the Indy Boys) went and had a blast. They shot over 100 rays. A couple over 100 lbs. July is supposed to be a good time to go. They said they saw thousands of rays.

You'll need a slotted retriever.

We were also going to do the gator gar thing but you know.... I bought a tractor instead. ;) (it is a cool little tractor LOL.)

3. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LOL good luck with your tractor. I can't do BOTH this summer, but would like to do one or the other...hardest part will be finding two partners and the time. Gas is half of what it was last summer, and likely half of what it will be next summer.

I got the slotted reel covered, but since I wasn't using it much I converted it back to standard, would have to make the switch again if we went.

Yeah I saw where the Indy Boys went, they freakin slayed them...I need to give Alex a call about that Double Bull he was asking about anyway, might sneak in some East Coast questions while I'm at it. :cool: lol

4. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely ask Alex about the East Coast.

Don't use a slotted retriever unless you need to use a float. As you noticed, they're a pain in the kester otherwise.

We have a spot for you on our pontoon boat if we head out that way. ;)

5. Jim_IV

Jim_IV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Trev, let me know if y'all head down this way in 2010. I will get you some info on some pretty good spot at the Trinty river. Its what we shoot (when I get to go). My buddy just bought a boat today, so I'm planning to hit it hard when I get back from the honeymoon. Also, I think late April is just about the best time to go. That is if the water running to hard

6. 7danny

7danny Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I got my reservations with fatalflight.com to go out this year. Can't wait.