Anyone have a homemade slider?

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Rick James, May 3, 2017.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone have or build their own homemade slider for b-roll footage? I'd be curious to see your build, and how exactly you use it.

Lots of stuff online, and I love the idea of a gimball or something like this for smooth camera movement on b-roll stuff, but I just don't want to spend the $$$ on something like this. I'm wondering if I can get the same effect using a homemade slider or something similar to get some good quality camera movement on some of my b-roll shots.

Thoughts?

2. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I made one several years ago. It can roll across any flat surface, or I have an aluminum C-channel that I can attach to my tripod that when I flip the slider over it will ride on the C-channel. I fabricated it out of aluminum tubing, aluminum plate, skateboard wheels, and some misc parts and pieces. It is infinitely adjustable and can roll on almost anything. I set it up on a piece of guard rail one time and got it to roll at an angle down the guard rail even. I haven't used it in a long time though. It was a fun project.

[​IMG]

bloodcrick and Skywalker like this.
  3. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    something I have been wanting to build

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is hilarious...last night I was just thinking how to possibly accomplish some smooth sliding camera shots...sure editing software can take some shake out but it almost always effects the quality of the footage.

I knew one guy (not kidding) that built a "track" about 20 yards long along a food plot once and would run a remote control car with the cam attached back and forth....crazy....but footage was pretty cool and smooth than I thought it would be.

As for Gimbals I've even thought of adding one...never used one or know if a difference maker?

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I looked hard at making a DIY slider a few years back. Researched a ton, but in the end I found I was going to spend $80-100 to make one that worked the way I wanted it to. In the end I decided to pony up the extra $50 and get a Glide gear slider.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ar_dev_470_47_professional_camera_slider.html

It worked great for me while I had it. Sold it to Dustin when I got my Rhino slider last Spring. :tu:

6. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree with Fitz. I went with a Konova K2 when starting out. Pretty affordable and offers the option of adding remote control down the road if wanted. I ended up trading it for a Rhino Motion system as well since they paid me $500 for it :)