Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Anyone else smell it in yet?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rick James, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dan and I were talking about this the other night at his house as we were shooting.

I know a lot of you are further south than us up here in NY, but in the mornings, and evenings......it's just a bit cooler out in the last week or so, and they don't feel or smell quite like summer evenings anymore. Temps are dropping well into the 50's now at night, and September is just around the corner.

Anyone else seeing the first signs the season changing yet?

2. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah, I have been out a few times this past week Scouting/Coyote hunting and was under dressed by the time I got out of the woods! I love it! Then I went shining and turned the heat on, the temps dipped to 49 degrees! Supposed to get warm again this coming week! I tell ya I am ready for fall! I love when the temps are on the downside of things, getting cooler instead of warming up!

3. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    oh yeah Matt, here every year after the summer solstice in late july, when the days start to shorten and the temps really start diving down at night by early to mid August. We have had temps in the low 40s already at night this summer, the over cast days in the low 70s too. Ive been out glassing till dark many evenigs and its definately in the air... the smell, the feel etc.... its on! I will really feel it this coming week while archery antelope hunting at elevations starting at 6k up to 7500....

4. stikbow26

stikbow26 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rick you took the words right out of my mouth, My wife and I took the dog for a walk the other night and it was cooler out and there was a nighbor burning wood that gave that smell of a wood stove!!! Man does that make it feel like we should be hunting!! Walt

5. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, it wasn't 100 yesterday. It only hit 98.

6. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The geese are starting to talk a little more.. the cowbirds are gathering.. and my left nipple is getting hard.

Yup.. it's almost time again.

7. dukemichaels

Dislikes Received:
    A little. But still very little.

I just think I have too much on my mind right now. It's likely going to be a shorter and tougher season for me.. because my mind is just on other things and not where I want it.

I have recently made the decision not to hunt Wisc. which hurts. But I just have too much BS to handle this year first.:cry:

I was just messin' about the nipple thing.:d

8. Bols

Bols Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    GMMAT,

Justin is just tweeking things on Mike's form.

Pay no attention to their "tendencies!".

9. dukemichaels

Dislikes Received:
    I only have eyes for you Bols. Only have eyes for you.

And since its my goal to put more smilies in every post.. I'm throwing my comp. at you for some strange reason.:computer:

10. Bols

Bols Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Stop with those crazy eyes killer, I think I could cut some diamonds over here!

BTW, you throw like a girl.

11. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Matt, I JUST started noticing this this past week... in fact, I sent Matt / PA a text saying the exact same thing!

12. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's not normal here this time of year, but yes it has been nice and cool lately. Lows in the 50's and 60's and highs in the 70's and 80's. Not uncommon to see 100* around here this time of year. I'll take it.

1 month from tomorrow and I can hunt in MO!!!:nana: :rock::woot:

13. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Matt, im feeling it as well here in Indiana more south of you. There has been a cool spell and the air just feels great. Low 60's in the morning with some fog. The deer have been very active lately and are just starting to pount the corn over the beans. cant wait!!

14. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seen a deer out @ 430 yesterday evening in the fields eating. I've noticed the leaves starting to drop on the tree in front of my house. Temps getting just a little cooler, but don't be fooled, that thing called Indian summer sneaks it & pops our baloon. One month left for us in Wi. Regs are out. Everywhere around by me just went high powered rifle, & there is the 4 day anterless only hunt in OCt. which gives us bowhunters only about a month of no one being in the woods. After the 4 day season w/high powered rifles, them deer will be too skitish for quite some time.

15. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seen a deer out @ 430 yesterday evening in the fields eating. I've noticed the leaves starting to drop on the tree in front of my house. Temps getting just a little cooler, but don't be fooled, that thing called Indian summer sneaks in & pops our baloon. One month left for us in Wi. Regs are out. Everywhere around by me just went high powered rifle, & there is the 4 day anterless only hunt in OCt. which gives us bowhunters only about a month of no one being in the woods. After the 4 day season w/high powered rifles, them deer will be too skitish for quite some time.

16. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Every morning is feeling that way. As I was brushing my teeth this morning I look out the bathroom window, "oh, there's a deer, and it's a buck. I lay down the tooth brush and grab the binos on the window sill...yeah they're there. :d A 8" spike walks in, "OH there's another deer and it's a buck too". I throw up the binos and again, "Damn that's a shooter, and about a 140" walks in towards the house.....yeah, I can smell it. :cool: It was especially noticeable when I helped Ben hang a stand last evening and as we were shooting in my backyard this evening.

:deer:

17. Dr Andy

Dr Andy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, it is getting a bit cooler around here.