Anyone done a Spring Bear Hunt?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by kentuckybuck, Jan 22, 2020.

1. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have done some spring hunts. My favorite is in the northwest at green up, spot and stalk in logged out areas. I have also done a few hunts over bait, not my cup of tea however New Brunswick and western Canada have some damn good outfitters.
    I may do a Newfoundland spring hunt at somepoint just for the hell of it.

2. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have to agree that spring is much easier than fall. Bears come out of hibernation and they are hungry!
    I’ve hunted bears in Ontario, Minnesota,Idaho and Wyoming. Not an expert by any means, but have learned a few things.
    BTW, I’ll be giving you a call this week Skull.

3. TC0802

TC0802 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm no expert and I couldn't speak to from which season is easier. When I lived in AK more people did the spring hunt for the same reason Skull mentioned. Better hides and better meat. The meat is really greasy in the fall when those coastal bears have been eating fish all summer. That being said I had a blast on a fall black bear hunt one year and took a nice black bear with my bow.

4. Downwind

Downwind Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Spring bear is the best. Find where it’s greening up first and if it’s close to a water source you’ll find bears. Hides are generally really good coming just out of hibernation. You can hunt in your tshirt and sleep in. What’s not to like? And they make fantastic sausage and pepperoni. I’ve taken 2 bears in the spring for the last several years. I look forward to it every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. CanadianCowboy

CanadianCowboy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Better hides in the spring, in my opinion... spot and stalk in cut blocks, look for the first grasses, usually on the southern slopes... have taken lots of nice spring brutes! Not a fan of spring bear meat, prefer oat field bears if going to eat them at all...