Anybody using solar panels?

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Ben/PA, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have moultrie cameras, and have been buying 6 volts.....anybody using a solar charger for a 6 volt? If so, is it worth it?

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Which Moultries? I've got 4 I40s and the 6 D cells will not die.

3. Buck Magnet

Buck Magnet Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Moultrie I60 and when I first picked it up I planned on getting a solar panel, but after watching how great the battery life is, I don't see a need for one. I did use one on my Stealth Cam Digital when they first came out and it really didn't help out much.

4. Kelly/Ky

Kelly/Ky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I get plenty of life with standard batteries, so IMO not worth the money.

5. ToddGraf

ToddGraf Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have never tried solar, yet.

6. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Gamespy 2.0 (4) and GameSpy 3.1....they take a lantern battery style...I get maybe 150 pics and 40 ten second videos..with 80 of the pics being at night. Thats an average week. I would like to go two or three.

7. RattleSnake

RattleSnake Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Ben,
    I thought about getting a solar panel for mine as well, but the batteries don't seem to die that fast until it gets cold out. Now when I wanted to leave my camera out for a couple of weeks last winter to see what was going on in the cold weather plot, I came up with another idea.
    I decided to take a small tackle box as it was all I had handy at the time, and drilled a small hole out the side. I put some foam in the bottom of the box and hooked two of the regular 6 volt batts in PARALLEL. What this does is keeps the output voltage at 6 volts but doubles your capacity(amp hours). To hook batteries in parallel, you need 2 small jumper wires to pos. to pos. and neg. to neg., and then you need a longer set of wires to run from one of the batts out the hole in the box to go up through a small hole drilled in the bottom of your cam. I also used silicone caulk around the wires coming out of the tackle box to keep moisture out as it sits on the ground. I found a picture on the net to show you what I mean. Ignore the part about series...that will fry your cam.:mad1:

[​IMG]
    Hope this helps you out some, just something else to try because I haven't heard of the solar panels doing a whole lot either.

8. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on picking a couple up for my old stealth cams.The cams take 8 D batteries and eat them up monthly.I have spent enough on batteries to by a couple cams with solar panels.Thankfully my cuddeback only takes 4 d batteries and lasts many months.