anybody hunt florida?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by the mechanic, Feb 13, 2011.

1. the mechanic

the mechanic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    im trying to secretly plan an out of state hunting trip for the wife and i, and florida is on my list. but i want to make sure i know what im getting myself into first and you guys might be able to help me along.

one of the reasons FLA. came up is i used to live there and kind of want to try to convince the wife that living there isnt a bad idea, and if i can prove to her the hunting is good, it will be one point for the home team.

anyway, i was planning on either zone c or d. and im not trying to lock in any private land, just some public land hunting. so, in those zones, where would be some good areas, counties, towns, whatever to study? are there areas i should stay away from? and if at all possible, could you guys give me some tactics that have paid off for you?

thanks in advance. oh, by the way, im going to be trying to swing this, and my possible western muley hunt later in the future. so the better this sounds the easier it will be to pitch to the wife.

2. SC Shed Labs

SC Shed Labs Newb

Dislikes Received:

3. the mechanic

Dislikes Received:
    well, shes been into archery ever since she could pull a bow back, and been bow hunting ever since she was legal to in upstate new york. hunitng probably wont be the only thing on the menu, but it will be the main course. ill tell ya, i really lucked out by marrying a hunter, matter of fact, her whole family hunts pretty much. so i already have life long hunting partners.

4. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hey, question... you dont hunt with that 11.5" stab do you? this has nothing to do with florida haha I'm sorry, just noticed your pic, seemed extreme for a hunting situation, but was just curious on your thoughts.

5. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt with a 11.5" Octane. Nothing extreme about it to me.

6. the mechanic

Dislikes Received:
    hey, answer! i havent bow hunted yet. but i plan to this coming season, and i plan to use that exact stabilizer. it doesnt seem extreme to me, i usually hunt with a rifle that has a 28" barrel, and most of my hunting in upstate ny is out of a stand. some is spot and stalk, and i will still use it. unless it gets in my way almost all the time im going to keep it on, but if it becomes a PITA, then ill take it off and trade it for something else. i just really like how it cuts almost all the hand shock out.

7. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I definitely understand the benefits of it, i was wondering how much a PITA it was, doesn't sound like GA has an issue with it though... something to look into i guess. I know all about that upstate NY stuff, i'm just across the lake! I can be in Rouses Point in 40 min! actually looking at some land in Champlain right now.

8. the mechanic

Dislikes Received:
    like i said, most of my hunting will be from the stand and some of it on the ground, spot and stalk or still hunt. where i hunt is heavily wooded, but the trails we walk down are heavily used in the off season, so twigs and such wont be much on an issue. and i guess if they become an issue i shouldnt be taking the shot anyway. too much of a chance to catch an unseen twig or whatnot. but, if it does become an issue ill just change it to something shorter and see what i like.