Any NE Oklahoma turkey hunters?

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by mathewsmq1, Feb 23, 2018.

1. mathewsmq1

mathewsmq1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are there any successful turkey hunters in NE Oklahoma? I just moved to Westville Oklahoma from Wisconsin and was wondering if I could get any tips for this spring since the turkeys here are a bit different.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. JT1992

JT1992 Newb

Dislikes Received:

I live in OKC. To my knowledge most of those are going to be easterns. I came here from South Carolina and find these turkeys way easier. In S.C. practically everyone will hunt toms in the spring and I had a lot of trouble even getting them to come to calls. So I hunted them like deer, sat on a foodplot and waited.

I will say that you need to be ready for coyotes. Not many coyotes in sc but I shot more coyotes than turkeys last year calling. Also, if you go west you’ll get into Rios so that would be a different species if you wanted to chase those.

For the most part I’ve always found turkeys to be turkeys. Just like with deer, if you hunt the Midwest, then what works in Kansas will pretty much work in Ohio, and what works in SC will work in Louisiana. The terrain and environment is the biggest factor in your tactics.

I would recommend going west if possible because you’ll lose the crowds and find yourself a lot less frustrated.

mathewsmq1 and TeamOkie918 like this.
  3. TeamOkie918

TeamOkie918 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^ That dude NAILED it!