Any luck this weekend?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Did anyone do any good or see any good movement this past weekend by any chance??

I went out Sat eve, and both morning and afternoon yesterday and saw a grand total of two deer in that entire time. It was one of those weekends where everything just seemed to go wrong.

Saturday night I was running extremely late and wanted to hang a new stand to hunt so I hussle to get out in the field, get all sweated up, only to realize I brought an old Lone Wolf without the offset bracket and I couldn't get it to sit right on this crooked tree. So I aborted those plans in favor of a makeshift ground blind about 50 yards away. In the process of cutting some limbs with my new Gerber Ratcheting Pruners I broke the damn things in half. Plastic pieces of junk. I'm going back to my Treehopper Lane Makers. Then to top it all off the combine drove within 10 feet of where I was sitting about 10 minutes before dark. Busted evening, went home and watched Brock "Worst Tattoo Ever" Lesnar become the new UFC heavyweight champ. Hoorah.

Sunday AM came about 3 1/2 hours after I went to sleep so needless to say I was beat. Got into my stand plenty early, all the while freezing my nads off. I'm not used to temps in the 20's yet. Set up my Montana decoys in a cut corn field and as I was watching the field two does snuck behind me and either winded me or busted me moving because all I saw of them was their white tails as they bounded away. Thanks for stopping by, come again soon!

After that dismal morning I went out and hung two fresh stands in preparation for this weekend and the long Thanksgiving weekend. I think they're both in really good spots, and provided my dad doesn't scent them up to high hell before I get in, they could both produce deer this year.

Sunday night Mike came out to film and since I didn't feel like hanging another new set of stands we went into where I killed my doe early this year. Nobody had been back since we hunted there a month ago so I was hoping that some does would be coming into our little food plot to eat and hopefully bring a buck with them. Unfortunately all we saw the entire night were snowflakes. Not even a squirrel or a bird to look at.

I'm not a big fan of this mid-November-not-having-a-buck-down thing at all. :mad1:

2. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks you r weekend went so poorly. I'm sure it will be better next weekend and over thanksgiving. I personally had a great weekend. Me and my buddy I hunt with saw multiple great looking 2.5 yr olds and several little bucks dogging does. Also, I killed my biggest buck to date. A really nice 3.5 yr old. He was also my first bow kill. Now I have to go kill a couple of does. Good luck next weekend.

3. babyburb

babyburb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only gave it a crack Saturday morning and it was to take my son out. He lasted about 2 hours but it was cold for him. Of course, nothing showed which is usual for the area that I can take him hunting in! I'm heading out this evening though for an all day sit down tommorow!

4. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Did you see my busted release post? Thats how my weekend went! I did see a bunch of deer, just couldn't kill one.

5. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saturday I saw a big ten point cruise thru about 80 yards away. Then I had a coyote chase a doe by me. And I had a smallish 2.5 year old 10 point walk by at 30 yards. Iam saving my last buck tag for something better.

Sunday I saw a 1.5 buck in the food plot. A nice buck (not sure of his rack) fly by at MACH 4 speed. And 4 does in the plot by themselves.

What happened to mad chasing phase of the rut???:confused:

6. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Went out Sunday had 1 doe and about a 140" buck show up Late No shot opp.

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well at least you guys are seeing something!!! I've got a few days of vaca left to take before the year is out, so I might burn them up this weeke and next week. I think we've got about 14 days left before it's wound down for the year and I convert to hunting late season food sources in the evenings.

8. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i feel your pain justin! try have ur non-hunting buddies tell you about all the deer they see he or there. at the store or driving past a field.... oh well at least i'll get a 'A' for effort this yr=-)

9. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Went out with the .270 on Saturday for the NY rifle southern zone opener and got rained on all day long. It was also in the high 50's/low 60's all day too. Spent 11 hours in a tree without getting down.......:cry:

Despite the bad weather, I saw 9 deer total. I had one little buck cruise through early in the morning that kept going 300 yards away where the neighbor whacked him :huh: . Also saw several different does up until 10:30 or so including one with black tarsals that was walking around with her tail c0cked. Just before we ended up with tornado warnings (literally) and the storms started rolling through, I did have another doe with stained tarsals come into the clearing I was watching, and stand with her back legs stretched out and tail c0cked (heh, filter says roostered), and a minute later 50 yards behind her a 2.5 y/o 7 pointer with a half broken side came out behind her. He tried to breed her but she wouldn't stand for him. They ran off and then 20 minutes later the storms hit us and almost blew me out of my tree. I climbed down and headed back to Dan's camp and headed home for the night to watch Captain America get his butt kicked. Didn't go out Sunday, but I'll be back at it this upcoming weekend both Saturday and Sunday.

10. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I saw another hunter having a movement. Does that count? He's lucky the zoom on my camcorder is only 10x.

Saw three deer on Sunday, right at first light. The buck I saw came walking in, looked over at a doe that came in from a different direction. He didn't come over and check her out, he just turned and walked away. Gay buck?

Sure was cold with that wind.

Tomorrow I'll be back out.

11. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I saw a total of about 12 deer this weekend. Five of the deer being bucks (a 12-point 160 class, a 130 class 8-pointer, a small four pointer, a spike, and a basket rack 6). I sure would have loved to have gotten a shot at one of the first two. Now I'm going to have to settle with getting them during shotgun season this weekend or the neighboring hunters will kill them :rant: . I would have loved to have gotten one of them with my bow. I guess there's always late season. The other 7 were does and yearlings.

12. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    GregH did himself alright this weekend!!

As for myself, nothing but little bastards running around!!

13. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Same here Steve. Seen some good looking 1.5 year olds, and some deos i would have taken (all out of range), but none of the bruisers showed up.

14. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I can't say for anywhere else, but I saw very little deer movement. I did see several bucks bedded with does :bash:

In 17 hours on stand, I saw 6 deer... Although one was a deer in the mid 160's at 68 yards:deer:

15. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Well firearm frenzy came in this weekend for us. But i was still bowhunting. The rain was terrable. I seen one 8 point around 100" sat morning. Sunday all i seen was a wounded deer shot one minute before from neighboring property running full tilt dragging a front leg :bash: