Any Interest in a CO Backpack Archery Elk Hunt?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by NolanOutdoors, May 15, 2011.

1. NolanOutdoors

NolanOutdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My name is Rick Nolan from Blanchard, OK and I am looking for a handful of serious hunters interested in joining me on a do-it-yourself backpack archery elk hunt in September 2011. You can learn more about me at my personal website, NolanOutdoors.com.

The current plan is to hunt Colorado GMU 54 located in Gunnison National Forest northwest of Gunnison. Camping and hunting in the West Elk Wilderness (176,000 acres with elevations from 7,500 to 13,000 feet). Pack in for 4-8 miles from the trailhead and set up base camp. Nothing with a motor or wheels is allowed in the wilderness area.

The 2011 archery season runs from August 27 to September 25. The current plan is to depart Oklahoma City on or about September 14 or 15, pack in the wilderness upon arrival and hunt through the end of the season on Sunday the 25th. Pack out on Monday the 26th and arrive back home on Tuesday the 27th. These dates are flexible to meet the needs of the majority of the hunters committed to the hunt. Depending on numbers some may go earlier or later to meet personal schedules.

This will not be a hunt for the lazy hunter. Backpack hunting is physically demanding. Loading 50 to 60 pounds of “camp” on your back and walking into a wilderness area is not an easy adventure and comes with some risk.

I will negotiate the price with a local outfitter to have game packed out for those interested in utilizing this service. Packing out a 600 pound plus elk is a lot of work, I will be using a service to handle that load.

Unit 54 is a draw only unit; however there were tags leftover in 2010 so I am confident left over tags will be available to buy August 9 or 10. If tags are not available we will have time to develop a plan B in another wilderness area where OTC or leftover tags are available.

If you are interested or know anyone who might be, please drop me an email at [email protected]. IF you have a question or comment please feel free to fire away, I will get back to you shortly.