Any die hard Hoyt shooters around here

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by biscuit, Aug 20, 2017.

1. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been looking at what IMHO is the top two for me which is Mathews and Hoyt. I have not seen a whole lot of reviews on Hoyt this year, just curious is anyone on here has any practical experience shooting the carbon line of hoyt bows.

1. Do you think the carbon craze will stick around
    2. How do you really compare these two bows? It seems to me like splitting hairs
    3. Could be just my area but most of the bow shops I go into carry both, but they all push Mathews,
    what and why?
    4.Is there really that much difference between the two.

Thanks in advance.
    Brad

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe a better profit margin on the Mathews would be my best guess but I've not shot the Mathews bows in a long while so maybe they are just better (but I doubt it).
    I've had a Carbon Element since 2013 and have always been happy with it. I would have upgraded by now but at $1200+, changing out bows very often isn't something I'd like to do as long as mine is good. I'd not have any issue going back to another carbon, I love mine.

West_Bay_Wader likes this.
  3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is not a carbon, but I have owned a Hoyt Charger for three years, based on its performance, I would hesitate to upgrade to a Hoyt Carbon bow next time if I can afford it.

merlinbyler likes this.
  4. Guns and guitars

Guns and guitars Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been a hoyt user for years. This year I went for a new bow and had all the intentions of the carbon Defiant 34... But in the end I went with the pro 34 instead...
    The carbons sure are nice but that extra lightness just wasn't worth the extra money for me.. Maybe next year. Im interested to hear how they take a beating..

OhioHunter72 likes this.
  5. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have never shot or really handled a carbon but I did have a friend that got one. When I asked him what he thought about it the only con that he mentioned is that there is no guarantee that the body is the same thickness throughout. Therefore weight could be distributed unevenly. IE top or bottom heavy. I don't know if this is a common issue or just the one he had. I personally don't dive that deep into it. If I like the way it feels and shoots then Im good with it. I have shot a Hoyt for almost 20 yrs. I know they are a quality product but not cheap. But then Mathews is a good brand as well only cheaper. If you don't have to have a brand new bow I would look for the die hard brand loyal guys that pretty much buy a new model every year. They sell the one they have (usually the model yr before) for a lot less than the new ones. They are still practically new and usually have some hardware on them already. If my dumb a$$ would have done that I would have saved around 5-7 hundred. But my Hoyt was like 14 yrs old and I thought I had to have a brand new one. Bottom line if it feels good in your hands, shoots well and your good with the price then thats the one you get. Just my 2 cents.

6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All I can say is, I've had my Hoyt Vectrix for ten years now, and it hasn't given me any issues. I love the way this bow shoots, and I shoot it accurately, so what more could I expect from it? Best thousand dollars I've ever spent.

7. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been shooting Hoyt "religiously" since 2013. Before that, I shot a Mathews (6.5 Reezen). A couple of years ago, I got a No Cam just to try it out. Needless to say, I no longer have either of those bows.

I picked up an Xpedition Denali this year, and although it shoots very, very nice, I don't like a solid backwall. Also, the cam design for my DL puts me where there is very little valley, which I don't like. So, this bow (my 2017 backup bow) will likely be listed on ebay after elk season is over.

I made the mistake of cutting loose a Carbon Spyder 30 I had when I bought a Nitrum 30. Before the Defiant's came out, I bought a Carbon Spyder 34 ZT and haven't looked back. I will keep this bow for a few years, even if I add another carbon to my "arsenal".

For me, I prefer the feel of a carbon riser bow. Hoyt's price point may be a little high for some on the carbon, but it can't be too far off as they've been selling them pretty good for the past 5 years.

8. merlinbyler

merlinbyler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had my hoyt charger since 2013 and love it!!! I'd definitely buy another one and hope to upgrade next year when they come out with there new one!!! I say go HOYT!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

9. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    *not

Totally changes the message when you leave out a word. I would not hesitate to upgrade to a carbon bow from Hoyt.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Tribeck and merlinbyler like this.
  10. HoytDuck

HoytDuck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Hoyt carbon Spyder 34. I also have nerve damage which temporarily paralyzed my left trap muscle to a point I can barely lift my arm to shoulder height with any added weight. I value the lightness and don't think I'd be able to shoot anything heavier. Just mounting the quiver and arrows is enough to feel

Sent from my LG-H830 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

11. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So, any guesses what's in store for 2018?

12. Jrob140

Jrob140 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am not a bow expert by any means whatsoever, and I currently shoot a bear encounter. However, I was on the brink of buying a new bow over the summer and had basically cut my choices down to the hoyt carbon defiant and the mathews halon. To me, what stuck out the most is the mathews draw cycle was the smoothest of any bow I've shot. 70 pounds felt like 50 on most bows, and the carbon defiant was just stupid fast. Both bows I shot were 70 pound draw weight and the hoyt just seemed twice as fast. Again I'm no expert but in my opinion that's what stuck out the most between the two. I ultimately decided to wait and stick with my bear because I couldn't decide which one I wanted and decided to save my money until I found a bow I couldn't live without.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

13. Matt7705

Matt7705 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had a halon 32 and it was nice, but could not stand how heavy it was when I had it all decked out. That being said I traded it in for a Hoyt carbon defiant. The new Hoyt rx1 is nice too but. I decided on last years model because it basically shot just as well and I saved 250.00 dollars on the defiant

14. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What bows have you shot??? I advise anyone who is in the "market" for a new bow to shoot EVERYTHING they can get their hands on, find ones you like and shoot them 2-3 times, and then decide which FEELS best to you... In reality, if it doesn't "feel right," who cares what the spec's are, it's not the bow for you... Having owned and shot nearly 4 dozen bows over the last 15-20 years, I have ones I absolutely loved and ones that I couldn't get rid of fast enough... Some of them had damned near the same spec's, but felt so different from one company to another that I couldn't believe they are even considered in the same class...

Tribeck likes this.
  15. Matt7705

Matt7705 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I have shot just about every bow out there over the last ten years I totally agree with you a person should shoot what feels good to them. I personally tend to gravitate towards Hoyt myself I always have. Even though I have owned 3 Mathews as well but I end up selling them for a Hoyt. I guess I am a die hard Hoyt shooter

16. jayb

jayb Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot only Hoyt and lov 20171218_130812.jpg e the tunabilty of there bows.

WillO likes this.
  17. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's a sweet looking rig!

Dan Boedigheimer and jayb like this.
  18. jayb

jayb Newb

Dislikes Received:
  19. Matt7705

Matt7705 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice bow!!!

20. Dan Boedigheimer

Dan Boedigheimer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am sure most name brand bows if tuned properly will consistently put your arrow where you want it. But I am a lover of Hoyt. I had finished an evening sit during early Nov. with high winds and heavy snow and had set my bow and backpack on the ground while quickly changing out of my hunting clothes. While driving home I remembered my bow still on the ground. Returned to find my tire tracks going across my bow and arrows. Yes, I am an idiot. My quiver and arrows were in a thousand pieces but my bow was undamaged. Shot it the next day and it still was right on target. Hoyt makes a very tough bow.

jayb-that is one sweet looken weapon

Bassindago and Tribeck like this.