Any CT bow hunters around?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by KyleLewis, Aug 3, 2013.

1. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I live in Ma but this year will be hunting CT. My wife and I are expecting a baby at the end of September so I think it's a safe to say I won't be hunting as much as last year. The herd is way bigger in CT and on my way to a place we built down there I saw deer everyday. Tons of them. So just figured I'd see who else hunts down there.

2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I grew up in Sturbridge, and hunted CT my whole life. whereabouts in CT you looking at? there are some monsters in the northwest CT area...

3. KyleLewis

Dislikes Received:
    Well I live near Springfield. I have permission to hunt some land in Somers but there wasn't a ton of sign. I was thinking about shooting to bigelow. I used to go there as a kid so I am familiar with the area.

4. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on awaiting the arrival of a baby! I hunt southeast CT. The herd is actually pretty good here, but has an overwhelmingly large doe to buck ratio in favor of the does. The bucks are fairly spread out and sometimes hard to pinpoint depending on the size of the plot you're hunting. There are just too many small pieces of private land to actually get access to some of the larger bucks, but every year I hear a few stories of people putting down a 140 or bigger, even though the odds are not in our favor. If you're just looking to fill the freezer though, CT is the right state to hunt. Which county are you going to be hunting in this year?

5. KyleLewis

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks DPTB. She'll be our first kid so were excited. I was thinking about Hartford or Tolland county. Both are fairly close.

6. KyleLewis

Dislikes Received:
    This year I'm mostly interested in making the most of the few hunts I'll get in. This probably won't be a year for scouting out big bucks but just filling the freezer. I didn't get a doe permit for MA so that's why I went with CT. More deer, less time, oh and they have some big bucks!

7. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    bigelow can be pretty good. its archery only from sept 1th-end of January...and you get 8 tags....cant beat it!! but it gets that exact attention. its where I grew up hunting. great hardwoods, lots of pines/hemlocks, and some crazy topo gives it a lot of character making it a memorable hunt. if I had to choose between my land or that land.....I almost bought my CT tags because I have so many great memories hunting in those woods with my dad. there is a lot of pressure there though, so you will have to apply the "go deeper and thicker" than anyone else theory. every year there is different. 2 year ago there were no acorns, and not a deer to be seen in the woods. last year I hunted my newly purchased property, but my dad still went there and saw the same spots that were empty the year prior, full of deer. my first 2 years hunting there i never saw a deer in a hunting situation..it can be very slow. if you are going to hunt there...you have to scout NOW like right now this weekend or next weekend. if you want less human pressure...go a few miles down the road to nipmuc state forest, its where I also went my whole life....barely a sole in the woods....there is a CATCH though.....littered with coyotes,,and I have seen quite a few bears in there as well. the deer herd in there was severly depleted in the early 80's with tons of bowhunters and is still heavily pressured during muzzleloader and shotgun season. ATV's and such. my dad and I hunted it 3 seasons ago, he went the whole year not seeing anything, and I got a doe on opening morning, but failed to see/shoot a buck, saw 20-30 coyotes and 2 bears. theres the trade off!!
    Bigelow is most likely the better choice as long as you are ok with the motto if its brown its down.
    do yourself a favor grab some gear and go scout NOW!!!!!

8. Covurt

Covurt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in CT. South Eastern CT. This is my first year bowhunting.

9. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    good luck with your hunt!

10. KyleLewis

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks.