Any Advice on Elk Hunting Montana/Colorado

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MichiHunter, Jan 22, 2014.

1. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im going to have to check yours out and see what I think of it, Probably next month I will be pulling the trigger on a pack

2. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here ya go.

[video=youtube_share;7c5MuaMaK_w]http://youtu.be/7c5MuaMaK_w[/video]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  3. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    very nice.. Is the club outdoor rang pretty cleared out now? going to have to come down there to shoot and check out the pack.

4. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, awesome, and Perfect!

Did it come with a water bag and straw or is that a separate thing?

Man! Sweet Pack, +50 on the Man Card!!!

SsssWACK!

5. MichiHunter

Dislikes Received:
    We keep it plowed. You can shoot it even when there's snow on the ground, but it's just been to dang cold this year. But yes, it's ready to go. So that's 2 30 target fields, we've also got the competition range set up and ready to go, those go from 10-60 yds. And indoor is always open.

6. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice review on the pack - looks great! I like the meat pocket idea.
    New pack is really the only thing on my list for this year as my pack frame has always sat in the suburban, and I've packed elk 3 times now with my Cabelas day pack. It quite impressive the weight I put on that pack, but being it has no frame - it has dang near killed me a couple times. Your pack looks like it should give you everything you need.

I have all but settled on the REI XT85 pack...REI members have a 20% off coupon good over these next few weeks which makes it very nicely priced (and comes highly recommended on other hunting forums for packing heavy loads)

7. MichiHunter

Dislikes Received:

Doesn't come with. I'm going to purchase the Platypus water filtration kit. You can use 1/2 of it for your in pack water supply. When you need to refill, just gather water, attach water gathering piece to the in pack piece, and let gravity take over.

8. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been following this thread pretty close. This thread has great info in it. Maybe the best in a long time. If you are going to DIY do it with a partner (or two) please! If you have never killed an elk that is when the real work begins. I'd be more worried about getting my harvest out of there then anything else. Never have heard of hiring "packers". Do people / outfitters advertise these services?

9. MichiHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Heckler, you're absolutely right. I only know what I've researched, which means I know nothing, but I'd never consider doing this trip alone. In case you missed it, Nick (coheley665) is going with me. Yes, you can hire packers, but you've gotta make phone calls to find them. IMO a packer can save your trip. For example, if your lucky enough to harvest early in the trip, the trip doesn't have to end, you can call in the packer, then concentrate on your partners tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. MichiHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wanted to give an update on the progress toward September. I went ahead and ordered the Bugling Bull game call. (I think everybody who hunts elk on here BackCountry, SpotNStalk, etc.) all recommended the call. I received it yesterday, I'm going to start practicing the cow calls while I'm driving around. I gave the bull call a good blow yesterday. I'm definitely going to have to go outside at the club to work on those calls, otherwise the cops are gonna get called because the neighbors will think I've finally snapped and started taking hostages. LOL.

I also started a blog to document the preparation for the hunt. Back Country (Dave Barnett) was nice enough to write 2 great articles for the site. I recommend checking them out if you get a chance. http://www.elkdiy.com

I just started a twitter account https://twitter.com/ElkDiy as well. Give me a follow if you can!

I've started running every other day. I'm running 2 miles every other day, there are a couple of real good apps that you can check out for free that will help make you a better runner.

I like the Nike Running+ app.

and

C25k (stands for couch to 5k). They both have an easy to follow program to get you running 5k runs pretty quickly.

I'm not a runner, the first couple of times, I thought I was gonna die. It's starting to become enjoyable, and I actually look forward to it. I still want to drop about 10-15 lbs, I've hit a plateau with my weight loss, I'll fluctuate a pound or so, but I can't seem to get it to fall off and stay off, so I'm going to start working out more aggressively to try and shock the fat off. :)

Other than that, I've been getting my property ready for some spring fishing with my boys. I bought a cheap used pontoon boat that I still have to pick up, that way we can go out do some fishing, maybe a little grilling on the lake. I picked up my sons tags for everything yesterday, fishing, small game, turkey, deer,.

Planning on going out to Nick's place for a little turkey hunting at the end of the month.

So that's the latest. Here's a couple of pics, and a quick video of my first run. LOL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[video=youtube_share;g_HkAooK9WM]http://youtu.be/g_HkAooK9WM[/video]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  11. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    Good Stuff! Thanks for sharing!

I think its great all the apps out there for smart phones that can help with fitness & running, as well as hunting (maps, gps apps, etc).

I would still argue that running is the #1 training for us flatlanders that are heading to hunt elk in the mountains. Stairs/hills would be second, and weighted backpack would be 3rd...but ultimately, running is needed first to maximize the other two...it works your whole body - and the lung/cardio gains are what are needed most, IMO.

Keep up the good work - and keep the updates coming - I know I enjoy it. Really looking forward to your updates post hunt:)

12. MichiHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here's my latest update. I'm still shooting in some form or fashion nearly every day. Now that the weather is nicer outside, it makes it easier to shoot. I set up a small makeshift shooting range in my backyard for the times when I can't make it to the club.

I haven't been working with my elk call very much, a couple of times a week. I keep the cow call in my car, when I'm driving around alone, I'll work with it for a bit. It's more difficult than it looks, no doubt about that.

I'm working out more, running, weights, etc. I'm really starting to enjoy running, it's amazing how quickly your body will adapt to what you throw at it. Today I completed my first 5k (3.1 miles). I set that as a goal, and I reached it today. So I'm pretty pumped about that. If you would've asked me 6 months ago if I would ever run 3 miles without stopping, I would've fell off my chair laughing.

Now, I actually look forward to getting out there and running. I'm by no means "fast". But I'm doing it. I probably could've run another 1/2 mile to a mile, but I stuck with my goal.

Here's a snapshot from the app on my phone.

It's funny to watch the video I posted a couple of weeks ago of me sucking wind after a few laps at the high school. That was only a couple of weeks ago.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  13. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:
    Great Job Brother!

Persistence pays off, your doing Awesome!

14. MichiHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you Sir. I appreciate it.

15. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty awesome feeling going from sucking wind running a half mile to pumping out a 5k isn't it?! Keep it up!

I started literally at a single mile in 10+ mins feeling like I might pass out and never wake back up and am now running a 5k daily at around 24 mins.

16. MichiHunter

Dislikes Received:
    It really does. Keep in mind that a little over a year ago, I smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day. I sucked wind going up a flight of stairs. To be able to just run for 30 minutes is not something I saw myself doing. But I've gotta admit, I know why people are addicted to running. Not to sound like a tool, but sometimes it's the first thing I think of when I wake up..."I should go for a run."

It definitely makes you feel good.

17. SPOTnSTALK

Dislikes Received:

Yeah that's because you're not human... Lion Heart!

HaHaHahahaha!

Keep up the good work!

18. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    What's the latest - How's the training & planning going?

19. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    3 months to go!

20. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Busy Busy latley, Paul and I need to meet up soon and work out some fine tune adjustments. Its sneaking up on us real quick.