***Antlers Anonymous - Team 18***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by Garet, Aug 15, 2016.

1. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well done Aaron! I'll be working all weekend can't get back in a tree till Tuesday. Good news tho I'm getting all my trailcams back from bear camp so I'll get those out ASAP

2. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    12 deer I seen while just driving in threw the neighborhood this morning. 42deg.......man I wish I could be in a tree and not having to sleep for my shift tonight.

3. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, Aaron!

Didn't hunt yesterday, went to a dirt track race 2 hours away. Temps are cooling...just wish I had a more promising spot.

4. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Just saw the scorecard -thank you Aaron for paying attention and getting that fixed. I seen when you posted evening - guess I should have realized it needed an exact time. Sorry! But, it'll move us up 50 more points, so that's good. Need to get some last minute things done around the house - will be heading out Thursday or Friday evening then Saturday. Looking like we will be hunting our rifle spot Saturday morning (over an hour away). I've had good luck in the winter there - so here's to hoping good luck in the fall!

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job Aaron! Buckeye - sorry to hear about that yote. They're tough suckers to find as I've shot and not recovered a few in my day.

No dice for me this past weekend. Sat a total of 4 times between Friday and yesterday. The only deer I had in bow range were a really nice 2 year old buck that got a pass and a pair of fawns that also got a pass. Last night we had 2 big mature does with no fawns feed within 40-50 yards at last night but no shot opportunities.

Looks like another cold snap on Thursday afternoon so I may try to sneak out for an afternoon hunt then. After that another warm up and some rain this weekend. We need some real cold weather at some point to get these suckers moving.

6. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone! Doing what I can for the team. :) Would've been nice to put 170-175ish points on the board in one sit, but glad I decided not to punch two tags in one night and have my bow season over on October 7th after only my second sit of the year. I know we have bigger bucks on the property and need to have the self-discipline to not compromise on what I want to harvest this year, even if it means eating tag soup. It's all relative to where you hunt. I'm definitely spoiled and reading other people struggling to even see deer makes me appreciate it even more. Going to let my stands rest for another couple weeks and get ready to hit it hard starting around Oct. 20th, depending if we have a cold front earlier than that this year. In the meantime, going to shoot some ducks, catch some muskies, and build a retaining wall for my new house. Good luck everyone! Let's keep it rolling!

7. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Aaron, sadly, my goal is to be done as quickly as possible! I don't do the cold well, so I always dread rifle season - but seems that is the only time I fill my tags. But, glad you were able to realize that there are bigger deer. I hope you do connect.

I will be heading to a new location (for me) with my brother tomorrow for an evening hunt. He's been hunting a different property. I will be sitting in a stand in the middle of acorns. He had a shot at a doe last night but hit a tree instead (no idea...buck fever? First shot at first deer ever...). I feel this property may be better then my normal weekday spot. Had a slight frost on the ground this morning - so they should start getting more active.

8. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I've been away guys, just got back from a salmon fishing trip here in NY. Only do it once a year for about 4 or 5 days but man it's a blast every time. Fishing has been poor the last few years, but It's all worth it once you hook one. I'll post some pics in a few. Think I'm still waiting for one from my father

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Also forgot to say I swung by land on the at down and found a trespasser right under my stand. Hunting right under my stand. Claimed he was told that the neighbor owned the land and that guy told him he could hunt. I do believe that since he was very respectful, but I'll have to have words with that other guy. We knew people weee trespassing for years during he off season, but let it go. Now the guy is inviting people to hunt and saying the land is his, so he'll be hearing it for me. We've owned the land before he came, and even owned the house he lives in now.

10. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some of these fish might look like repeats, but they're actually not. Although that steelhead (bright fish) doesn't look that big, I had people running over to help as well as check out that fish cause it is a big sterile. Once I landed the fish, I heard my friends running behind me with the net lol.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

A little bit of doe action caught on camera last night. Thought she was spooked at first. Turns out she was just getting her exercise in. Had two small bucks sparring as well but they were just out of camera range.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    AT - we have steelhead starting to move into our creeks - will be getting out in the upcoming weeks. I love creek fishing when the fish are moving.

Garet - that girl is on the m.o.v.e! Do you have a tactacam on your bow?

13. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's a gopro knock off. Apeman is the brand. First year with it, seems to be doing alright.

14. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just wish that peak steelhead season wasn't the same time as the rut. I'd love to get at them when they're running the river in the thousands.

15. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just got set up between the corn and swamp where I saw the big deer last outting. The WI youth hunt was this weekend and I stayed away from here but found a few boot tracks back :/ oh well it's public land. Cloudy and super windy. Tomorrow looks incredible for hunting so I'm excited. How do you guys feel about high wind? Hunt it? Stay home?

16. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go for it! Can't get one from the couch. Wind can either help or hurt your hunting, if all depends on your property.

17. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well as soon as I posted that it started pouring on me so I flew out of there. Left the stand up and will be back in the morning. On a plus I finally located the land owners address that owns a big piece of land I've wanted to hunt. Just stopped by and no1 was home but there was lots of USMC retiree memorabilia around, being a USMC vet myself maybe I can work some magic and get permission. Will come back in a few hours hopefully when someone's home.

18. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1 spike so far this morning. He grunted twice which surprised me. Gorgeous morning here in SW wi 34deg dead calm and sunny. Glad to be a Bowhunters this morning.

19. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck this morning, CJ. Did you find the property owners to that piece last night?

It's raining this morning. Supposed to clear in the afternoon. Yesterday was 80* when I left work. Today is a high of 54*. Hoping for a good sit. It's a new property, so anything can happen.

20. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Out in a new stand my brother tossed me in. Some sign on way in....but not many shooting opportunities for my liking. We will see.