***Antlers Anonymous - Team 18***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by Garet, Aug 15, 2016.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting plans changed. Having major issues on the home front with neighbors messing with my horses...so will be sticking around for awhile. Supposed to heat wave this week, so I won't miss much. People make me freak out.

2. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have, but the CT one is closer to me due to the Whitestone bridge being right by me. However neither is closer than 30 min, which is how far the new bass pro will be.

3. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Missed a golden opportunity last night. Didn't the weather was going to do much so I went out to the field to help harvest. An hour before dark temps dropped 10 degrees with swirling winds and then rained for a good ten minutes. It felt like a killing day and I was posted up in a tractor instead of a stand :(

4. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any of you guys used NAP killzone? Ive been using rage till now with good results, but trying to replace the blades on those guys pissed me off today to the point where I'm ready to buy a new type of head. Would you guys suggest I go with the trophy tip or the COC head? I believe Justin used this head before and had good luck with it.

5. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    No advice on the NAP's. I use Montec G5 (Used to use HellRazors, but can no longer find them) - will never switch. My husband has had a TON of success - black bear and a ton of deer.

6. dsauer22

dsauer22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never used them either. Also currently trying the montecs for first time.

7. GeorgiaBowhunter1996

GeorgiaBowhunter1996 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use the trophy tip killzone 2'. I never liked the coc because of the replacement blades for them. Never had a problem with the trophy tip ones.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the Killzone for a year or two and never had any issues with it. Honestly it doesn't make a difference which tip you go with, they both perform the same.

For my money I still think the Spitfire line is the best broadhead on the market. I'm shooting the DoubleCross now and have had tremendous luck with both the Spitfire Maxx and Spitfire XXX as well. Personally I prefer a 3 or 4 blade head over 2 blade.

9. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice guys. I figured it wouldn't make much of a difference so I went with the coc last night. Should be coming into the shop by Friday hopefully. I thought about the spitfire, but I prefer to have the cutting start right away instead of open up in the deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be scouting a new piece all Thursday and most likely sit there as well Thursday evening. I plan to hunt threw Saturday morning after Thursday then back to work so I get the first day and a half of the cold front.

11. BuckEyeJay

BuckEyeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I've been out all day today and nothing seen about 80 squirrels that's it and a billion mosquitos lol well almost time to climb down that's it for today I guess.

12. united12

united12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to NAP Killzone Maxx (COC) this year and after seeing what it did to the doe I killed Saturday morning, I'm sold for sure! 2 3/8" cutting diameter and got a complete pass through. Absolutely tore her open on entry and exit. There was a great blood trail and she didn't make it 50 yards. Definitely one of the easiest tracking jobs in recent memory.

13. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    Hey does anyone hunt small pieces of land by chance? Is it worth hunting my buddy's Dad gave me permission to hunt his 6 acres behind my house when I don't feel like driving is it worth it ? It's never been hunted it's 6 acres of hardwoods with a pond one of the acres is grass like a lawn and a creek boarding the one side. He says he see a ton of deer there when he goes to the property. He orig bought it 10 years ago to build a house and never did anything with it. Is it worth hunting I'm going Saturday to check it out and hang 2 cams. But is it really worth it ?

14. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    It's literally like 5 to 7 blocks from my house but there building a new subdivision on the one side across the creek a little bit aways or trying to get the ok to build one. Should I waste my time looking at this piece he's told me about 2 deer that live in the area a big 8 and a old 10 point and so did the neighbors but it's just hard for me to wrap my head around hunting 6 acres.

15. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a honey hole to me, my favorite property I have ever hunted was about that size had easy access and I always seen deer. You find deer where you find deer.

16. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt it!! I have one property that's 11 acres but is sandwiched between apple orchards and is packed with deer. The biggest buck anyone in the area has ever seen or heard about lived on that piece exclusively. Hunt it smart and you'll have some great luck there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    Thanx everyone yeah I'm going to hunt it I guess lol I'm going Saturday to hang some cams and a stand or 2. There's great access along the creek bank he said but I'll find out more sat. I'm not sure how the properties look that surround it I've never looked I've always just drove past and it's kinda hidden there's a tall bank and tall trees blocking the road you'll drive right past the driveway if not looking for it lol. I'm not sure what's on the properties food wise yet or how the deer sign looks but I hope there's some at least it's so close I can't pass it up I'm only going to hunt it when everything is right so I don't over hunt it or pressure it to much.

18. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    I had a 2 great properties to hunt now I'm in a scramble trying to find somewhere to hunt besides my place 4 hours down south. The one farm I had the owner passed away recently and his wife sold off all the property they had cause she didn't want the responsibility of taking care of it all and the other farm I have is on hold right now damn state comisinor wants to build or start a drainage project threw the property cause it borders the illinois river so there out there right now with trucks and guys all over spraying for lines and what not and messing it all up by the time I can hunt it everything will be nocturnal or gone I think but I'll find out In a week or 2 how many acres I can actully hunt or where I can hunt because of this Damn state project and I can't always drive 4 hours each time to hunt so now I gotta find something and the 6 acres is looking good lol the more I think about it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  19. BuckEyeJay

Dislikes Received:
    And I won't hunt the public anymore. Sunday I got into a fight and had to call the sheriff's dept cause I was sitting in my climber just minding my own and I hear a noise coming closer but I keep telling myself no it can't be or its dnr coming but nope. And what happens a damn guy on a dirt bike rips threw the property right under me I climb down he actully approaches me as I'm leaving asks me what I'm doing hunting public land which I have a permit for to be there gets pist I'm there in which he's not even suppose to be there or be on a motorized vehicle in there so I walk off and leave him go to my truck pack it up and I still can here him just ripping around everywhere so I decide to call because he was a damn jerk I wish I could of shot him lol and yeah they came like a swat team it was hilarious. So now after that I refuse to hunt public and on Sat there was 33 trucks in the parking lot most had 3 to 4 guys per truck thsts what my public is like there's like 40 dudes out there everyday it sucks.

20. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Going to sneak out for an evening sit. It's warm today (my kind of day) - but it's been cooling down in the evening. Wont make it out til around 4., since I work til 330. Hoping to not kick anything out.