Antler Outlaws - Team 9 thread

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by englum_06, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say you're in the zone! Nice shooting Marauder. Looks like you made it through the sickness and surgery very well!

2. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Well I've been out for a while. Work has been busy as it always is and my parents houses survived the fire that was threatening both of them. Good news is none of our hunting land was burned. Better news is a got another buck yesterday we had been watching since last year, Crab Claw. The only bad news is the bow hunting has been crap since it's been so hot, 92 yesterday, so I had the rifle, not the bow.

We had ended our morning hunt and went to lunch. No sooner do we get home and the land owner who lets us hunt his property calls and says there's a keeper right by the entrance gate to their land and house. We get down there and there he is laying under a big oak in the shade right in the open. I low crawled behind some rocks and trees to within about 175 yards and that was as close as I could get. I had a decent rest to aim and take a shot; missed him by I don't know how much, neither me or dad saw a dirt splash. He jumped up, ran across the road to a narrow thicket with not too much room to go much of anywhere. I had no radio, no binos and when I went back to where the truck was, it was gone. Walked around for about 10 minutes trying to find my dad and step mom and finally saw my dad at the top of the hill on the other side of the road. Not wanting to run across a road with a loaded rifle, I unchambered my gun and hauled butt across the road to the top of the hill. Finally caught up to my dad and we worked out a plan. I went back to where my dad parked the truck, got the rest of my gear and got in place at the end of the brush. Dad started at the far end and walked towards me. Shortly afterwards, here comes Crab Claw trotting right towards me about 300 yards away. As he's coming, dad and step mom start chatting it up on the walkie talkies and I'm trying to get in a word to tell them he's heading right towards me and to be quiet but they kept beating me to the talk button. I just turned the radio off and dropped it on the ground. Here's the most interesting part.... I'm lining up my shot, taking a good rest on a gate and he stops looking right at me about 150 away. All I can see is chest. I know it's a bad idea to take that shot but he was sitting still and not moving so I decided to pull the trigger. CLICK! My hear sank, I forgot to rechamber a round! I slowly pull the bolt back and chambered a round. He flicks and ear and turns towards the brush. Dad must have been close cause he took 4 steps and stopped, perfectly broad side! I took a quick breath, steadied my aim and bang! Down he went right where he stood! I can't believe how lucky I got with this buck, the cards were just not in his favor yesterday. Amazing little game of cat and mouse and the cat won!

And now that I'm looking a little closer at the trail cam pic from last year, I'm not actually sure if it's the same buck. What do you guys think? I won't hurt my feelings if you don't think it's the same deer, but I'm not sure. I know angles can make things look different but there are some differences from last year that don't match up as much as I thought they would have. Either way I'm ecstatic cause he's the biggest buck I've ever had a personal encounter with!

Buck 2-2.jpg
    Buck 2-4.jpg
    1 and 2 bucks.JPG

3. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Hillbilly with your buck! That's an awesome story and hunt! IMO based on the pics I think that is the same deer. Also I'm glad that your parents house is ok and your hunting land! Thanks for sharing and congrats again on that beautiful buck! :tu:

4. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice muley!

How have the deer sightings been guys? I still can get out for another 12 days as my season doesn't start until the 19th! So I'll just slave away at work until then! These cooling temps are great...love this time of year!

5. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like great country man. Hopefully things pan out well for the season. Good luck and enjoy! I know you're looking forward to it!

6. Adamant2010

Dislikes Received:
    That spot looks like it could have lots of potential! How successful have the other guys that hunt the property been?

7. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    The cabin owner tells me that if you put in the time I'll get a chance at least one shooter. He has several 120-140 bucks on the wall that he had shot over the last few years. I'm optimistic. :tu:

8. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    Look what came in the mail!

Attached Files:

9. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cold front coming through MN with a high pressure system. Came to work early so I can duck out and hunt a few hours tonight. Should be a nice night either way.

10. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck!

11. Adamant2010

Dislikes Received:
    Checked the trail cam today! Tall 6 pointer and a nice 8!!

IMAG0283.jpg IMAG0314.jpg

12. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Oh ya baby! Put it to good use. Maybe it will be the lucky ticket for ya this season!

13. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    I'm praying for anything somewhat cool. Our forecast out here has the lowest temp at 60, and highs from 85-90 or the next 10 days. Bow hunting is really tough right now. The only reason I have a buck under my belt with the bow so far is because it was opening day and they were still a bit comfortable. Dang near everything is a vampire now unless you jump them from a bedding spot. Even the water holes are drying up out here.

Good luck to everyone now that your seasons are going. Hoping the cold weather helps most of y'all out.

14. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Storms came through last night. Yesterday's high around 80. Today's high 63. Will be out this afternoon!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

15. Adamant2010

Dislikes Received:
    Nice little cool down for you!

Any of you guys use your state/town GIS maps? I've been using them for the past few years and found them to be really helpful with terrain, knowing who owns what, looking for funnels, etc.

16. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yup! They are useful for getting boundaries for public land. It's rarely marked unless the adjoining property posts no trespassing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

17. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    Well boys I set up the stand this morning and checked the camera and got a bunch of pics of this guy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Adamant2010

Dislikes Received:
    Hurry up and stick em'!!!

19. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    Patience man. That's what this game is all about. :tu:

20. turkish621